Form Field not updating

Badge +5

I need some ideas/pointers. I have a form that the list has a field labelled "Issue_type". When I created the form I used a choice control, called it "Issue_type" and connected it to the field list. When I fill the form out the selected choice does not seem to update in the list and therefore will not carry over to the workflow email that selects that list field for part of the body message to tell the user what option was selected. I would presume that what the user selected when filling the form out would send that option and update the list with one of the options.

ListFieldNotUpdating

ListFieldSettings

16 replies

Badge +11

Works for me. This is how I configured the choice control in my Nintex form:

206451_pastedImage_1.png

For the text field inside my list I used the default configuration.

Cheers

Philipp

Badge +5

‌, when you state "default configuration", to make sure my perception is correct, the standard click on create column and just fill in the column name, leave the 'single line tex't radial selected and click OK.... Is this correct?

So I am wondering if I need to delete my List column and recreate another.

Once the submitter submits the form it is not populating the list field with the choice that was selected.

Badge +11

Yes, I just gave it a name and left all the other options unchanged. Trying to recreate the column seems like a good approach.

Badge +5

I removed the Issue_Type column in the list and recreated. Went back to form to make sure it is linked and still when the form is submitted it is not updating the list column with the choice that was chosen. If I set the default to compliment so that is selected on load of page then it will update with compliment but never with another value if another choice is selected.

**update

I created a new list with only the Issue_Type as a column. Created the new form with only the generic CHoice option and set that to connected Issue_Type, and that is still not updating the list with the option selected

Thought/Ideas/Pointers?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

do you have by any chance connected any other control (maybe on other panel/tab) to the same list field?

Badge +5

I do not have other controls linked. I can remove the lower "Compliment/Complaint" control (leaving panel) and the list will update. As soon as I add it back, the list will not update. Unless I am missing something (and sure I done something similiar), I should be able to have two panels with controls, connected to the same list column, One is hidden at all times based on credentials. If you are in MemberOfGroup then the control/panel of "Compliment/Complaint/Escalation" is shown and the control/panel of "Compliment/Complaint is hidden. And if you NOT in MemeberOfGroup then vice versa.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

can you post configuration of that "lower Compliment/Complaint control "?

Badge +5

Pretty much the same as the first one except I removed the "Escalation" option.

Issue_Type02ChoiceOption

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

you have said that you do not have two form controls connected to the same list field, but apparently you have!

both your choice controls are connected to the same Issue_Type list field.

so they overwrite each other.

whereas designer allows you to configure it, behavior at runtime is unpredictable resp not documented.

Badge +5

If I implied that, I am sorry.I need to have the choice options update but need to remove "escalation" option if you are not a member of said group

So my perception is that I can not  have two panels and to separate choice controls linked to the same list column?

Is this something that can only be done by Javascript?

If so I tried doing Leif's article and just not getting something correct then.

Nintex Forms: How to disable or hide option in Choice control? 

I even looked at Dynamic Choices: Nintex Forms — inFormed .

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

So my perception is that I can not  have two panels and to separate choice controls linked to the same list column?

exactly, no more the one control should be connected to list field.

Is this something that can only be done by Javascript?

yes, usually this done with javascript.

but your requirement is very simple and is manageable with pure CSS.

try following

- add following CSS definition into form settings >> Custom CSS (or any custom CSS file that you include to form)

.IssuTypeOptions_Hide3rd .nf-associated-control tr:nth-of-type(3) {
    display: none;
}

- configure formula like following one for 'CSS class' of choice control

fn-If(fn-IsMemberOfGroup('SP.TestGroup'),"","IssuTypeOptions_Hide3rd")

206683_pastedImage_5.png

and that's it.

this is how it renders for group memebers

206702_pastedImage_6.png

and for not members

206703_pastedImage_7.png

Badge +5

Marian Hatala‌,

Since I already have a CSS class being used, TabsChoiceControl, then would I just add it to the CSS script in place,

by adding to .TabsChoiceControl tr, or should it be separate as you have and how would I reference multiple CSS from CSS class?

tr:nth-of-type(3) {
}

Current script already in place:

.TabsChoiceControl {
float: left;
}
.TabsChoiceControl tr {
float:left;
}
.TabsChoiceControl label {
background: #fff;
padding: 8px 6px;
border: 1px solid #ccc;
margin-left: -1px;
position: relative;
left: 1px;
border-radius:5px 5px 0px 0px;
cursor:pointer;
border-bottom:none;
text-align:center;
color: #000;
}
.TabsChoiceControl [type=radio] {
}

ChoiceControl02

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

you can configure as many classes for a control as you like. just separate them with a space within CSS class field.

to use existing class or to create one another is moreless up to you and usage of existing class. if existing class is used for several controls and/or purposes you might want to create new dedicated class.

Badge +5

I implemented this in the orginal form and when it still did not work I created a new form with only the a choice option like you have, trying to duplicate right down to all settings on the choice action from your picture, figuring if I can get it to work with only the option I should be able to port it to the proper form. The sample form with only option is not working either. So I am obviously messing something up. I inserted the the CSS code in the Custom CSS. When I insert the code for CSS class I have tried your orginal and substituting the SP.TestGroup with Internal User. I have also tried using double quotes instead of single quotes because of the space in the group name, but to no avail.

Various forms I have played with:

fn-If(fn-IsMemberOfGroup('Internal User'),"","IssuTypeOptions_Hide3rd"
fn-If(fn-IsMemberOfGroup("Internal User"),"","IssuTypeOptions_Hide3rd"
!fn-If(fn-IsMemberOfGroup('Internal User'),"","IssuTypeOptions_Hide3rd"
fn-If(!fn-IsMemberOfGroup('Internal User'),"","IssuTypeOptions_Hide3rd"

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

is 'Internal User' valid sharepoint group?

fn-IsMemberOfGroup expects as an argument a sharepoint group name against which it check mebership of current user.

you are missing closing brace for fnIf() at the very end of your formulas, but I guess it's just a copy&paste mistake...

Badge +5

It is a SharePoint, not native, but one that was create previously and I am using it.

It was a copy & paste mistake as I went back to validate the CSS class and it is showing the brackets

fn-If(fn-IsMemberOfGroup('Internal User'),"","IssuTypeOptions_Hide3rd")

Am I to understand the break down of the scripts is:

If(fn-IsMemberOfGroup('Internal User'),"","IssuTypeOptions_Hide3rd")

If member of group('Group')  , "do nothing"," else hide 3rd option"

**update**

I played around and if I only put the CSS class as "IssuTypeOptions_Hide3rd" in the the css class it does hide, so that confirms the script, which I had no doubt works.

I then removed the class and set a rule of fn-IsMemberOfGroup('Internal User) on the CHoice action and it infact was hidden, so that rules out the Member Group as being an issue. So why is the complete formula not working on the CSS Class?

**Update**

So I started to play around with the formula and seems like my SharePoint does not like If function, fail, pass

I had to reverse the pass/fail parameters and it worked successfully.

fn-If(fn-IsMemberOfGroup("Internal User"), "IssuTypeOptions_Hide3rd","")

THANK YOU very much