Overtype/input for lookup field

• 13 June 2018
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

Badge

Hi, 

I am relatively new to SharePoint and Nintex, however I've designed a few workflows and forms that seem to be going well. 

So I have a user that would like a simple lookup that then pulls some other data in with it, the primary 'key' being the 'VIN'. The lookup is working fine currently but they have a few thousand records that may be added into the list, is there a way of doing the lookup with a text field? Due to the volume of records they obviously don't want to have to scroll through thousands of VINs. Is there a way they could overtype?

If not, is there a way they could enter the VIN and have it validated against the Vin list? 

I'm using Sharepoint 2013 currently. 

Thanks in advance,

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +14
The lookup is working fine currently but they have a few thousand records that may be added into the list

this is not 'optimal' neither from user experience point of view nor from performance one.

I'd recommend to classify such long list into several hierarchical categories and let the user to select first categories that restrict list of available options in lookup list

is there a way of doing the lookup with a text field

sure, you can define a lookup field from a text column. it will internally anyway represent the lookup value as KeyField;#ValueField (KeyField being item ID)

Due to the volume of records they obviously don't want to have to scroll through thousands of VINs

they can put focus on lookup control and start typing, it will incrementally search the list of option. if the list is sorted they should be able to get to the being looked up option relatively fast.

Is there a way they could overtype?

do you mean to provide a custom value, not (yet) available in the list?

nintex lookup control doesn't support this functionality.

, is there a way they could enter the VIN and have it validated against the Vin list? 

yes, you can build a validation rule based on a lookup() function.

formula might look like

length(lookup('VINList','VINListField',VINFormNamedControl,'ID',true))<1‍‍