Questions on Deploying a New version of a process

Badge +9

I have a couple of questions (hopefully simple) on what happens when I make a change to a process, and deploy a new version:

1. When I deploy a new version of a process, what happens to the currently running processes? I assume that they complete using the version that they were started with?

2. My process includes an Infopath form which is used to collect information from users. When I make a change to the infopath form, and then deploy a new version of the process which includes the new form, will processes that are currently running also use the new form?
Or will they still use the same (old) version of the form which was available when the process was initiated? (the preferred result)

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2 replies

Badge +6

Hi Arduk,

These are good questions and luckily easy to answer:

1. When you deploy a new version of the process, the currently running process instances will continue to run on the version that they started on. All new process instances starting after the new version is deployed will use that version if it's set as the default.

2. This has changed a bit in BP as far as I know the InfoPath forms are versioned now (I have not checked this my self in recent builds but last time I checked this was how it works), so if you deploy a new version of the IP form, then your currently running process instances wil continue using their version of the form. In 2003 this was not the case and a new form version would override everything.

HTH,

Badge +9

Hi Gerhard, Thanks very much for getting back to me.

I appreciate your thorough answer - luckily, it was also exactly what I wanted to hear!

Thanks again for taking the time to get back to me!