Workflow Bug: Task Modified By

• 13 October 2020
  • 1 reply

In my approval workflows, once an approval task is complete, I grab the name of the person who completed the task in order to populate a Task Approved By field.

I do this by giving each task a unique name held in a variable - e.g. Marketing - ID{Current Item:ID} - and then on Approve or Reject I populate the Task Approved By field by saying "give me the name of the user who modified the task which has the same name as the unique variable name (see attachment). 

This technique works on all my approval workflows, but today I added another task to a State Machine, and although everything else works correctly, no matter what I do the approver is always returning as "Sharepoint App". If I look at the task list, the Modified By name is the name of the approver, and if I look at the Version History, I see the correct name of the approver.

What could possibly be happening that would cause the workflow to not pick up the name of the approver and instead pick up "Sharepoint App"?

I've rebuilt the Update List Item action, I've tried writing the approver name to a variable and then using that in the Update List Item action, and I've tried writing the approver name to  the workflow history, but still it's returning as "Sharepoint App".

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +10
have you enabled the LazyApproval on your task ? if yes, did you approved the task by Email or from the task form ?

On the "Assign task" action, you can store the ID of the task in a variable. I recommande you to get your task by using this varaible, and not filter by you task title (you can have duplicate task in your task list, and you can get the wrong task with you filter).
Also, you can store the task comments (including task metadata) to get all information of the task (who response, when, the outcom and the comment added on the task)