Regular Expressions in Nintex Workflow

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

The Regular Expression action is an extremely powerful action for splitting text, replacing text or getting data out of text.  Don't be worried about not knowing how to put Regular Expressions together.  There are a number of sites online that give you the basics of it.  In this post, I'll give you some quick tips on how to get data that you may need.

Splitting Text

There are times where you will be getting data from lists, from web services, databases or elsewhere, where the data comes to you in a delimited form.  Either comma delimited, as in CSV files, or semi-colon delimited, as from some accounting systems or some other delimiter.  If you need to get the data into a Nintex Workflow collection variable, you can use the Regular Expression action to split the data based on that delimiter.

Split.png

Notice that the first data entry field to fill is in the pattern.  When doing a split, this is the delimiter.  The character or characters that will be used to split a piece of text.  The operation is "Split" and the Input text, I've simply typed in some text with the comma separating them.

The result of this needs to be stored in a Nintex Workflow collection variable.  For more information on the collection variable, take a look at these :

http://nintexdownload.com/Nsupport/tutorials/How%20to%20use%20the%20Collection%20variable.pdf

and

Nintex Workflow - Collection Variable - Vadim Tabakman

The interesting thing to note here, is that the pattern is a Regular Expression.  Although it could be a single character, like a comma or even several characters like #!# if that is the delimiter (I used to use that), it could also be very intelligent as you could give it options.

eg.  ;|,

The above example is stating that the delimiter could be a comma or a semi-colon.  That really opens things up doesn't it?

To get a little more elaborate, what if your delimiter was a period (dot or full stop for non US people)?  Well, in Regular Expressions, a period is a special character.  So in that case, you need to escape it.  You would do it like this:

Putting the backslash on it escapes it and lets the Regular Expression parser recognize that you want to deal with a period and not their special meaning of it.

Replacing Text

Using a Regular Expression action is not the only way in Nintex Workflow to replace text.  There is an inline function you can use in a Build String action, called fn-Replace.  Having said that, that action only lets you replace a known piece of text with another piece of text.

The Regular Expression action allows you to build complex expressions so that not only do you replace a piece of text, but you can find any number of matching sequences of text or replace only one piece or just from the beginning or from the end.  The number of expressions you can build is almost infinite.

Replace.png

In the screenshot above, we have some text "abc-def-ghi-123-lmn" and we cant to replace the numbers with a ###.  Now if you were to use this with a Build String action (with fn-Replace), you would need to know those 3 digits.  But if this was data coming in from another system, those 3 digits would be different each time.  That's where the Regular Expression action is so powerful.

You can build an expression like [0-9]+.  This is saying that every in my text where I find one or more digits, I want to replace them with ###.

Another expression that would do the same thing is [d]+ .  The reason I show you this, is because there may be other expressions that do the same things as what you're doing now.  Some will make your expression smaller and more streamlined.  Others maybe actually be faster at finding the text you need.  Although I would say that for workflows that you build, you're unlikely to come up with a scenario that the performance of a Regular Expression is something to worry about.

Extract Text

This can be as simple as the replace above, or something more complete.

To extract the numbers from the example above "abc-def-ghi-123-lmn", you can use the same expression.

[d]+

The main thing to note here, is that the Extract option will only save the results into a Collection variable, even if you know you're only getting one result back.  So you should be aware of this when extracting data.

ExtractSimple.png

Where it gets a little more complex, is if you want to extract data between two strings.

Let's take the above text as an example.  If we needed to get all the numbers, but they had to be between 3 text characters and the dash, on both sides, how would this be done?

In this case, our Regular Expression gets a lot more complex.  It would look like this :

(?<=w+-)d+(?=-w+)

You're probably looking at this and thinking it is gibberish.  That's what I thought it was when I first was learning about Regular Expressions.

It broken up into three components.

(?<=w+-) - This is called a Positive Lookbehind .  We're looking for some text that is a number of text characters followed by a dash (hypen).

d+ - This is the data we want to extract.  It is one or more numerical digits.

(?=-w+) - This is called a Positive Lookahead.  We are looking ahead to find a dash (hypen) followed by one or more text characters.

ExtractComplex.png

Although when you look at complex regular expressions, they look daunting, they actually aren't.  You just need to spend a little time playing around with them and maybe running through some tutorials and you'll be well on your way to build awesome business solutions.

Match

The match operation, I'm not going to talk about much, since it's similar to the others. It simply lets you know if based on your Regular Expression, there is a match in your text.  A good example of this, is if you didn't have Form validation and you wanted to validate that someone had entered a valid email into an item field that the workflow is running on, you could use this functionality to match it.  If it matched, you could continue with the workflow but if it didn't, you could notify the initiator to get them to fix the issue.

Conclusion

Regular Expressions are extremely useful in countless scenarios.  Don't be afraid to play around with them and use them to make your workflows very slick.  If you want to learn more, take a look at this site, which is one that I go to often to if I need a refresher - RegExr: Learn, Build, & Test RegEx

I hope this explains a little on how to use Regular Expressions in your Nintex Workflows.  If you have any questions, please free to post them in the comments section.

40 replies

Badge +2

OK, very good documentation but how can I retrieve the right portion of this string ?

The Delimiter is a (space - space) for example:

Component 1 - Component b

I want to store the phrase 'Component b'  in the above string into a new Variable (Column)

Idea is to use a regular expression ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi Jaap,

there are probably a number of different expressions you can use, but this one should work for you:

[a-zA-Zd][a-zA-Zd ]+$

cheers,

Vadim

Badge +3

Excellent article Vadim!  I can always use a refresher on regex.  Thanks for taking the time to write and post it!

Badge +3

Hi,

I'm trying to split a string delimited by semicolon. I used the below pattern (;) with a space and without it also. The input text is value from a lookup column. During the execution of the workflow I logged the output of the collection variable which returned only (;) as output. Please let me know what can be the issue. PFB the screenshots for reference.

Regex.png

history.png

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi Shyam,

when you log a Collection variable, it will automatically log it's contents in a semi-colon delimited fashion.

The best thing to do, is to use a Collection operation action to do a "Count". Then log the count variable.  It will give you an idea of how many items are in the collection.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Vadim

Badge +3

Thanks Vadim Tabakman

Will try what you have suggested.

Regards,

Shyam

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for sharing the Stephen.  Definitely a useful expression to have.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Would it be possible to capture the users in a collection variable (send the email to the collection var) and use the collection action to count the amount of values in the collection?

Sent from my Windows Phone

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

It would be easier than reg ex

Think of the collection variable as an array. Where you can store multiple values where they are separated by ; so for example if you multiple user names, they would be stored as domainuser1;domainuser2;domainuser3 etc..

Now you can use this variable type as a recipient for purposes of send emails/tasks etc. If you use the action search at the top of the action panel on the left hand side, type 'collection' grab the collection action and in the config there are a number of options.. This is where you can get values out of the collection, put new ones in, and also count how many values are in there.. Check out these links that a bit of info around collections

https://community.nintex.com/docs/DOC-1349

http://www.vadimtabakman.com/nintex-workflow-collection-variable.aspx

http://www.sharepointpub.com/formatting-a-table-from-collection-variables-nintex-workflow/

Sent from my Windows Phone

Badge +2

Hello,

I made a list workflow with this pattern:

^{WorkflowVariable:varDisplayName}.*({WorkflowVariable:varDisplayName}))

This works fine in one site.

But I Need this within the MS Project Site. I tried this pattern in a Nintex-Project workflow and without the Project part as site Workflow.

But here this pattern changes nothing.

How can it be, That the same Regular Expression works in one site and not in an other site?

There is no error. I logged all variables in the history.

If I open the regular Expression and choose RUN, I can copy the text from the history and it works.

I only Need the comments from Flexi-Task without Username and date/time inside.

I use the same Thing on a list, and it works.

Would be very happy, if someone can tell me, why the same Expression doesn't do the same in different sites.

Thanks a lot from Swiss

Dagmar

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi Dagmar,

when you log the varDisplayName variable, what is it's value?

Maybe someone can try to reproduce this here.

cheers,

vadim

Badge +2

Hi Vadim

Thanks for your reply.

First I tried to do it in a big workflow. There it doesn't work.

Then I write the Variables into a new created SharePoint List.

I have one single line text and one multiline text list elements.

I build a site workflow (in the MS Project Server SharePoint site)

With this Actions:

Read this two fields into variables (and write to WF history)

And do the replacement

Write in a third field in the list. (and write to WF history)

(This works in a site workflow in a different SharePoint site (Without Project)

Comment In =    Volkmann Dagmar (Approve) 12.12.2014 11:35 - 12.12.2014 11:35 (Volkmann Dagmar) Test4 Test4 Test4 - Test 4

Display Name =    Volkmann Dagmar

And I want   =    Test4 Test4 Test4 - Test 4

When I simulate the Replacement it works fine. I tried to copy the fields from the list and I tried to copy the data from the workflow history. Always fine when I simulate it.

If the WF runs, the Input and the Output are the same, but the data in the history Looks fine.

Thanks a lot

Dagmar

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi Dagmar,

sounds like something really weird is going on. I'd suggest you reach out to our support team for this issue, is it's not behaving the expected way in different sites.

cheers,

vadim

Badge

Hey Vadim

I was experimenting with the regular Expression. I need an Expression to verify that the Input has to be a number >0 but the Input can not be "empty". The Expression: ^.+$ for "not empty" didn't work. The Field I apply the Expression the following

May you or someone from the community has an idea?

Thanks in advance

Michelle

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi Lawrence,

I'm not sure why it works in the Run Now but not when the action runs.

Try escaping the double quotation mark.

eg. (""(,|')).

cheers,

Vadim

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi Lawrence,

I think that's a good idea.  I hope you contact Nintex Support and got to the bottom of your issue.

Cheers,

Vadim

Badge +6

Vadim Tabakman​ Great post! I was using a couple of list lookups in my nintex form for user id request that cascades, giving the approver for the department selected. Both values were saved back to list as single line of text. Both of them also had ID's and special characters appended to them. I followed the Regexr site and was able to get the actual department name and assisgn person field based on the regexr stripped approver text field.   Works really well! Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

H Baradwaj,

you need to configure the Regular expression to do a "Split".

Then for the expression, just put in the :  

Store the result in a Collection variable.

cheers,

Vadim

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Or you could configure it to do an "Extract" and for the expression have a w

also store the result in a collection variable.

cheers,

Vadim

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sorry.. just the colon by itself.

:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

If you use an Extract operation in the Regular Expression the expression would be

w

You can then use a For Each action to go through each value in the collection, or if you want to get value at a specific position, then use the Collection Operation to do a "Get" and yes, the index starts at zero.

cheers,

Vadim

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

are you sure your data is

a🅱c:d:e

??

The expression needs to change according to the input text you have.

w means a single character.  So if you have something like acsd:fd:werwe:fsdfds, then the w expression won't be enough.

If you have numbers in it, that expression won't work either.

After you run the Regular Expression action, use a Log in the History List action to log the Collection variable.

What is logged to the workflow history?

cheers,

Vadim

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Then you'll need to figure out what data can be between each colon, because your expression will need to handle that.

eg.

w will get a single alpha characters

w+ will get one or more alpha characters

d will get a single digit

d+ will get 1 or more digits

d* will get 0 or more digits

[wd]+ will get 1 or more alpha or digits in a group

Check out the Cheatsheet here: RegExr: Learn, Build, & Test RegEx

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

The problem is, I don't know what characters you could have between the colons to build up a proper expression.

But I would start with doing a Regular Expression configured to do a Split

The expression would be

:

This should split your data by the colon delimiter.  If this isn't working, can you create a simple workflow to demonstrate it and share it here?

Badge +6

Well, use the prefix literal in the expression and use 'digit' class with unspecified number of digits in a capturing group. Like this:

Follow Up=(d+) or Follow Up=(d?)