Analyzing Workflows in Excel

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi All,

I have to create a detailed dashboard/pivot on Nintex Workflow execution which can be analyzed and reported in Excel.

The built-in reports are not the ones I'm looking for... The business has pretty complex report needs.

Examples:

- Custom NW run list items

- WFs are using state machines and Flexi tasks / Data requests inside

- Tasks are usually assigned to groups in which somebody has to delegate to herself

I need to report:

- Basic timestemps (using Workflow tasks list, WF history log list)

- Spent time on tasks (in working hours)

- etc.

Did any of you have experience with it?

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

It's convenient to add columns on your list to save timestamps on every step you need

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi, yes it would be, I need more calculations, from the timestamps...

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hello Szabó Róbert​ -

I would take a look at the out-of-the-box reporting webparts and see what you can surface easily with them. You can use a Workflow Report Viewer and see expected duration, the number of instances, how many are in progress, run times (average, min/max), deviation.

182698_pastedImage_1.png

I recommend using Expected Duration so that you can put actual results against business expectations. We have yet to do this only because our WFs all run quickly and are not running over long periods...yet happy.png!

You can also click into the specific workflow and see details for each action within the workflow.

182697_pastedImage_0.png

If you have the time, check out my blog I did on this Leveraging Reporting Web Parts

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi All,

After weeks of thinking on this issue I simplified my problem. Originally I planned to do it with Excel Power Pivot, but then I realized my solution is viable with simple excel features.

1. I have one-two lists which used for the workflow data + the Workflow Tasks list. Set up Views for reporting purposes.
  2. All the 2-3 list are opened in the same excel workbook (Export to Excel function) and saved that. The tables will only refresh manually. (It's better for reporting)
    188995_pastedImage_1.png
  3. Useful columns from workflow tasks list:
    1. Create date
    2. Modified date 
    3. Start date
    4. Assigned to
    5. ID
    6. It's better if you change all the date columns to the "standard" format (and not the "user friendly"), with date and time.
  4. I added extra calculated columns, for example for calculating business hours: http://www.exceltactics.com/calculate-net-work-hours-using-networkdays/
  5. Then from these tables I created simple pivot tables and charts.
  6. After I save the report workbook, I copied it to SharePoint library and opened it in Excel Web Access parts.

Additionally, sometimes we have repeating section data which is necessary for our reports. We wrote some Excel macros to extract the data in excel (one column to many columns).

Regards,

Robert