Using Update XML to update Repeating Table in Nintex Form?

• 26 July 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi I am trying to update a repeating table column via Nintex Workflow. I have a ‘Complaints’ list item Nintex Form with a Repeating Table for Samples that when data is entered, creates a Samples Task in separate list (which will spawn other workflows etc). This part I have done using Vadim’s excellent Parsing post.

However when the Samples Task list item is created I want to update a column ‘SampleTaskCreated’ to ‘Yes’ in the Repeating table for that Sample entry. I thought this would be easy enough as I thought I could update the column with the Loop as I would have the correct numindex variable stored within the loop already.

I am having a real headache in how to update this column, I have been looking at the Update XML control but I don’t know where the XML is stored, I can update the variable that holds the Formdata fine using the below syntax but I have no idea on how to update the XML on the actual list item

if I try and use the ContextItemURL this ends in an error ….. when using Update Item control I don’t know how to state the correct line in the repeating table to update either.  Below is where the control is in the workflow 'Update Repeating Table'

Is this even at all possible?  I know someone asked Vadim this on one of his posts a few years ago and he hadn't tried it then and I think I have exhausted my google / nintex community search options now sad.png

Any help appreciated

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

you have to update FormData (hidden) list field itself.

so if you read repeater XML out of FormData into a variable, then after updating variable you have to update FormData with new variable value.

you could make it a bit easier if you connected repeating section to your custom multiline text list field. then you wouldn't need to first parse for repater XML, decode it, then update XML and then encode and write it back. with dedicated list field you would get XML you can directly apply update on.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

I second the notion of connecting it to a multiple lines of text field and then just updating the XML there.  This way its very visually easy to see if the change took place, which should also reflect in an update the repeating section.

Thanks,
Mike

Badge +1

Thank you Marian!

After a little research and playing about I have managed to get my repeating table updating by using your suggestion of connection the repeating section to a Multiple Line Of Text column.

Thanks again! happy.png