Not applicable

I need a copy item when this item has "View" permission

I have a item and end user has only "View" permission as below:

Pic1.png

With Nintex form in "View Mode"; I want put "Copy" button, then "click" will redirect form to "Edit Mode":

Pic2.png

End User can edit some field (ex: Field3 ...) and  click "Save" button. A new item created after that:

Pic3.png

I have try many solution like "WorkFlow Start Forms", call webservices but can't success . Any one help me resolve that problem.

Thank a lot!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Not applicable

Re: I need a copy item when this item has "View" permission

Hi,

First of all why you restrict user from editing if you want him to edit form ? I think you have logic collision here first. Second if u restrict them because you don't want them to delete items you could build custom rights group in sharepoint like "contribute without delete".

Now what is about copying the item. Here depends what you want to do. If you are satisfied with user running workflow manually you could add workflow which gathers info and creates new item, or on item edit you could start copy workflow automatically, or conditionally on some fields.

But if you want to start it in your forms it is a bit more tricky, because you will need some coding here with javascript, which is a bit harder to maintain and achieve.

For my opinion this is to simple task to use code. I would go for custom permissions group and starting copy workflow on item edit or conditional starting or just even manual "copy" workflow starting from item drop down.

Any way choose the best option for you

0 Kudos
ghkrause
Novice

Interesting question - I currently use SharePoint 2010 with Nintex - and InfoPath forms were needed.

When I configure to use InfoPath as form, I can define that there is only a "submit as new item" button (by calculating a new unique item name). Maybe Nintex forms can do the same? I have not tried Nintex forms, yet.

Users get "write without delete" access rights and are not able to edit and save an exisiting item, only new items based on empty form or existing items.

InfoPath allows role related behavior, so a people in a special group may see a "save changed item" button in addition or instead of the "submit as new item" button. Works great for my team here.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

My purpose : End user can edit some information before copy item.

- If I use workflow, I have som difficult with workflow start form. I can't create form again with workflow variables because  I can't store data  in some field ex: attachment field, choice field (with fill-in choice).

- If use some coding in nitex form, i think it not easy because i must custom about 30 forms

Thanks Donatas Krušna

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I think too . Nintex team need define "submit as new item" button in next version.

Thanks Gunnar H. Krause​ for your opinion!

0 Kudos
Not applicable

If what you're aiming to achieve is to create a new item as a copy of an initial "template" item, and allow the user to change some of the item properties, without affecting the template, i've done something very similar to that using a "copy and edit" workflows, and a WF start form, in 2 variants-

• With a hard-coded "source" list item
  • Starting from a an existing item user-selected as the source.

In my case these were Wiki pages, and this was a hack to work around the lack of either a "New Page from Template" or "Clone this Page" function in Sharepoint.

However I was starting these from a "start site workflow" link or a custom menu entry on the list view (respectively). This isn't exactly what you were trying to do, because the button to start the process isn't on the view form for the list item, but superficially that looks like something that ought to be do-able, the button would need to be able implement essentially what the "start a new workflow on this item" pulldown menu item in Sharepoint does.

Note- The user clearly needs create and edit rights on the list, otherwise they can't create a new item.

Regards: Colin

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I can't day i've hit those specific problems but I can very well believe that they will make life difficult.

Does the edit have to happen before the copy is made?  I'm wondering if it would be possible to clone the source item to a new item (which should be easy), and then redirect the user to the edit form for the newly-created item.

It is the latter part that i'm not sure how to do. You can hard-code a "go to this URL next" parameter before opening a list form, but I have yet to find a "redirect on form close" parameter in Nintex WF and/or Forms that would enable you to steer the session to the edit form of the newly-created item.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thanks Colin Evans for your help

0 Kudos