BlackPearl Designer freezes and crashes

• 20 September 2007
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

We have installed VS 2005 professional, WF and BlackPearl Designer for VS2005.

Each time we try to update he custom code, the BlackPearl Designer freezes, it take 5-6 mins to return back to normal. The behaviour is in-consistent, it some time crashes with "out of memory exception".

We have 1 GB RAM, the GDI handle is very less (< 1000).

We have also applied the hot fix released few days ago still no luck.

We are facing a bottleneck because of this critical issue. Please advise.

6 replies

Badge +11

Hi Mohan_sg,

Thank you for the feedback.  We are aware of the issue and it enjoys very high priority at the moment.  We'll fix it as soon as we can get to the bottom of it.

Regards,

Ockert

Badge +3

I am getting this error now too "System.outOfMemoryException" when I am trying to finish the SharePoint List Items Wizard. I also have custom code in Sever events. Cannot complete the List Item Wizard now. I noticed today that the designer was slowing down. Takes a long time for characters to type in wizard forms (like 10-20 seconds per character). Also noticed memory leak behavior... for example, clicking Next in a wizard will almost instantly chomp up 150MB of RAM.

Or maybe there's a memory leak somewhere in the interaction between K2 and VS.Net Studio.

Temporary solution is to restart VS.Net... but this is a pain when work goes down the tube to do so.

By the way, I am on the very latest Blackpearl 0803 release.
Windows Vista
2GB RAM
Core2 Duo @ 2.33GHz

This is the first I've seen it happen... devenv has been running for quite a while now. Something in the memory collection.

Badge +11

Here are some things to do until a solution is available:

- Only open one designer canvas at a time

- Exclude from the build any processes you did not make changes in

- During build/deploy, close all designer canvases

Badge +5

Hi,

Actually this outOfMemory exception is not directly related with K2, it's a matter of how .net handles memory. Typically VS grows in memory and crashes when it reaches 1GB.

Although it's not a complete solution (until 64-bit comes to help), a good idea is to boot your machine in 3GB mode and enable the IDE to use large address spaces.

The /3GB parameter is something you can add to your boot.ini file...it's rather simple to google and surely worthy to give a try.

HTH

Badge +3

Thanks! I suspected it had something to do with VS.Net and memory management. However, I checked and it was only using 500MB when it crashed.

Referring to the tips above: is it being suggested that I should *not* have a Code tab and a Designer tab up at the same time? That would be a pretty silly limitation.

I know it's one of those things we'll have to live with for now. I just wanted to mention that I was still having the issue in Blackpearl 0803 in case  it was part of the culprit. In the meantime I'll check out the 3GB trick.

Thanks again. 

Badge +11
I am not suggesting you can't have a code and workflow designer open at the same time.  I am saying the more workflow designer surfaces you have open, the more memory will be required.