What account should I use when building workflows?

Badge +6

Should I use the farm install account, farm admin account or does it even matter?

I have been building workflows with my personal account but what happens if my account is ever removed ?

3 replies

Badge +17

Emily,

It does matter to some degree, but its on a case by case basis. 

For the most part you DO NOT want to use the farm accounts at any level.  This will keep permissions where they should from a farm perspective.

As it relates to your account, you can create workflows; however if you are creating workflows such as site workflows or things, you may just need to figure out the account necessary from a management perspective but it will not affect the workflows.  The account with a similar level of permissions such as site collection admin, will be able to modify your workflows with no problem.

Hope that helps

Badge +6

Actually, it's better to use a non-expiring service account, because workflows may fail when they can't determine the workflow owner, especially if you use Action set option "Run as workflow owner". And, correct me if I'm wrong, that is usually the one who published the workflow.

You may want to grant that service account privileges of a site collection admin or assign it a user policy for web application such as Full read or Deny write, depending on the nature of your workflow.

Badge +6

Exactly. I do not plan to leave the company but if my role changes I am the owner on 90% of the workflows.

I think we determined we are going to create a System Admin account to login in to publish all the workflows.