Multiple Approvers replying to request in Workflow

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Hi,

In my workflow, i've added an Active Directory Group as the Approvers (there are 5 users in this Group).

When a requets comes in, all 5 Approvers get the email. If one of the Approvers replies to the request the Workflow actions it.

However there is nothing sent to the other 4 Approvers to say the request has been actioned. The only way the 4 Approvers know it has been actioned is if they reply to the Request and get a bounceback from the Server saying this has been actioned.

Is there a way to get the system to email the 4 approvers who didn't get a chance to approve the request to let them know one of the five Approvers has already done it???

Another thing, say all 5 approvers are being lazy and don't action the request, is there a way of sending the request again 2 days later? If they again don't action it after another further 2 days, send the request to an Admin to go on the warpath?

Lastly, when I send the email (in the workflow) to the end-user to say that their request has been approved, I want to include the Approvers name in the body of the email...something like "Your request was approved by.......Approvers Name". Where do i get the Approvers (Participants name) from in the Email to the user? There is no Participant Work Item Context in "Send E-mail Workflow Item". There is a context item called Manager, but this is not used in our environment.

Thanks all,

Thanks,

9 replies

Badge +9

You would have to create an email event, there is nothing built in to do it automatically.

You can set an escalation rule in the activity wizard to send after 2 days as you specify

http://help.k2.com/helppages/k2blackpearlUserGuide4.6.4/B2.2_Reference_-_Escalation_Rule.html

https://blogs.claritycon.com/blog/2007/12/stumbling-through-k2-blackpearl-escalations-part-i/

15555iC1F8713EB62673FE.jpg

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, but i've only done Workflows from within K2 Designer.

Where is the functionality to do Email events in there?

Also, the particpant is not the end-user, it is the Approver. I need the approvers details which is in the User task (Smartforms) and is available in Work Item Context - Participant Name. How do i store this variable so I can use it elsewhere in the Workflow? It doesn;t let me use it anywhere else in the workflow...

Badge +9

Try this for escalations

http://help.k2.com/helppages/k2blackpearlUserGuide4.6.4/Reference_K2_Web_Designer_-_Process_Escalations.html

I also found this about data fields... Sorry I can't take any screenshots since we don't use SmartForms, but it looks like good instructions.

http://help.k2.com/helppages/K2smartforms1.0.6/default.htm#K2D4SF_Data_Fields.html 

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Hi,

Thanks for the links. but I already know about Datafields, i use them throughout my Workflow.

My problem involves the "Participant Name" variable and being able to pass that through the workflow when an Approver (Participant) replies to a request.

I am using Smartforms and K2 Designer and done the Workflow through this, so I need to know how to accomplish using these tools.

Badge +7

Hey Sharp,

Funny part about what your going through...I've been there.  Slight difference is, I only have two approvers to worry about not five.  

1) Approvers getting email, the item has already been actioned or you don't have permission. 

• I created a branch off of the client event that checked to see if the item has already been approved, if it had to email them a tailored email that was a bit nicer than just plain Error.

2) Knowing who is getting the approve event.  

• I had a Manager and Project Manager that could potentially get this event...so I created a branch for each one.  Good part is that it's dynamic in that it checks to see who the approvers are in AD.  Bad part, is that the branches are static and that I only have two routes for this workflow to go in.  When the appoved event happened, I also dropped a event in on the backside of the approval event that would set who appoved/declined/cancelled and I could then create an email to show that data.

10926iA16EF40189C53BF7.png

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Hi Dave,

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one with this issue.

Thing is, i've done my workflow using K2 Designer using Smartforms. Do you know if this can be achieved using Smartforms Workflow?

If not, can I use K2 Designer Smartforms and K2 Studio in combination to do bits like checking who the approver is etc and send the email to the rest of the group?

Badge +7

I work mostly with Visual Studio or K2 Studio...I can experiment today to see if it's possible.

One thought on your managers that don't approve on-time...I had to setup an email to fire off every 3 or 4 hours when then they didn't respond.  It motivated them to get in to get those items approved.

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Hi Dave,

Just to give you an idea of my workflow in K2 Smartforms Designer, here is what it looks like (see pic)

It works quite well, but I need to get the Approvers name into the body of the "Inform Other Approvers" email, so that they know who authorised it.

I'm told this is not possible in K2 Smartforms Designer, but what I was thinking was, it is possible to Call another Workflow from within mine to go to K2 Studio and get the returned Approver Name from K2 Studio and send the Email to Approvers via K2 Studio?

In other words, can you mix and match Workflows? i.e. Use K2 Smartforms Designer Workflow and call a K2 Studio Workflow from within it to do the bits not possible in K2 Smartforms Designer Workflow like get Approver Name and send an email to all other Approvers in that Group and including the name of the actual Approver in the body of text?

12082i5910004AC1DFA6AC.jpg

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Dave,

I've ditched K2 Deisgner for doing the Workflow and done some learning with K2 Studio.

The general email to the user and approver is working ok, but can you do a step by step on how you get the Approvers Name, so that i can use Approver Name in my subsequent emails to the rest of the Approver AD Group and to the Service Desk so they know approved the request.

Thanks,