operation has timed out.

• 2 April 2013
  • 5 replies

Badge +4

We ate trying to send email from email event. When I try sending mail to vvery few users. Instance went dine and mail were received by the recepients.

But for the same process when I try to send a mail to many recwpients the instance went to error state. Stating operation has timed out.

Can anyone have an idea why this is happening. I do verified any time consttaint is mentioned at the exchange sserver but no constraint as such.

Please help me out for this. Since its a critical issue we are facing.

Thanks in advance

Prajwal DS

5 replies

Badge +8

I would start by looking at the SMTP/Exchange server. K2 really just uses the .NET mail functionality and chances are your SMTP/Exchange is throttling it. You can test this by sending the same email to the same recipients through the same SMTP, I would guess that you will get the same issue. 

I know Exchange also has an option to throttle the number of SMTP requests it accepts from a given IP:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh529935(v=exchg.141).aspx. Have a look at the Message Throttling Policy Considerations section at the bottom. Some more info here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232205%28EXCHG.80%29.aspx

Finally, I would check with the Exchange admin if they have additional limits or restrictions.

Badge +4

Hi thanks for your response.

Yes you are correct it is not just because  of k2. Since k2 mail event is using .net mail class, by default the timeout of the smtp client will be 100 seconds so if the recepients are large sometimes it gives this type of error and mail sending will be failed. 

Quick work around for this is. Dig into the code level of mail event and set the timeout   value into your required value tat resolves your issue.

Badge +13

How many recipient is too many that 100 seconds isn't enough?

Badge +4

Hi Peter.

Its more than 500 users. Though we were able to send mails to thousand plus users in another application..but we were facing this issue sometime back. So above solution was the work around we did.

Badge +13

Are you putting all the recipients in one call in bcc?

What if you separate out per 100 recipients per email?  (so it would send 6 emails in your case)

I wonder if that negatively ties up K2 service threads when it's waiting on the 100+ seconds.