Moving soon from SP 2013 on prem to SP online. Anything I should be concerned about?

Badge +8

See title.  The team that manages our Sharepoint instance is making this migration and I'm concerned that they may not have tested all the Nintex functionality under the new version.  If there are specific concerns, I'd like to raise them now.  Anything I should be asking?

7 replies

Badge +5

We had used Sharegate to migrate Nintex Workflows from SP2013 to SPO and the migration was very smooth. However there are quite a few Limitation with SharePoiint Online and Nintex for Office 365. Please ask you team to have look at‌ Nintex Workflow Migration from on premise to Office 365 

You also need to consider workflows with third party workflow action.

I hope it helps :-)

Badge +16

these are a good read:

https://support.share-gate.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000643548-Some-on-premises-Nintex-workflow-actions-cannot-be-migrated-to-Office-365

https://support.share-gate.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000600187-Nintex-FAQ

Also I am mostly on-prem but have dabbled with online and have found that the actions are more limited, there is no scheduling ability for example (well, out of the box) and the naming of the actions is totally different which is confusing as hell.

I was trying to find a comparison for actions available on-prem and o365 but it doesn't exist for some reason.

Badge +5

For me the showstopper was custom workflow actions. Nintex Workflow Online does not support third party workflow actions. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I've been keeping a list as I go through as well ... here are some:

- Can't start workflows from the edit menu
- No conditional start on new / modify
- No automatic workflow history
- No error notifications
- No runtime functions

Some of these may have been updated, I'm unsure, but I've been tracking as I go.

We have action sets now! So that's exciting.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Do all these mentioned limitations apply to SharePoint Online AND Office 365? Is the online and 365 workflow tool one in the same?

It seems strange that the SharePoint Online workflow actions would be so different from on prem.

We're getting ready to migrate to SP Online as well and everything I'm reading is freaking me out!

Thanks

Kassie

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi Kassie - 

SPO (SharePoint Online) and O365 are one in the same, yeah. Nintex for O365 is what you will be using. And, yes, they are extremely different from on-prem. You may want to take some time to browse through it before migrating -- I'd say it's important to audit all of your forms and workflows. If you're using UDAs, for example, those wont work in O365.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thanks for the reply Rhia. Sounds like we're really going to have our work cut out for us when doing this migration. I have multiple workflows using the UDA for pulling data from the repeating section. 

It's going to be nuts. We have hundreds of workflows and forms built. I think we'll identify the limitations then make a script for our site admins to follow.

Kassie