Not applicable

Re: Cascading drop downs and Nintex Forms for SharePoint

Jump to solution

I'm having issues getting the value of a list lookup in a repeating section to filter "Cascade" based on the values of the "parent" list lookup that isn't in the repeating section.   Is this a limitation?  Any recommendation on how I can get around the issue?   IE: The State List lookup is outside the Repeating section and the City List Lookup that is filtered by the State Lookup is inside the repeating section.

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
emha
Collaborator

Jump to solution

it's normally possible.

maybe it would be better if you raised new question/topic and described there exactly what's your setup and what's your problem.

0 Kudos
hinesdev
Scholar

Jump to solution

Is there an ETA on when the post back issue will be fixed on 2010?  We are still waiting for this fix!

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I have the same problem as Wim V from 2/19/16 post.   I cannot get the data from the cascading dropdown to populate the 3rd list.   Josh from post 6/17/15 states "On the ribbon, just connect the lookup control back to a SharePoint list column. It's really that easy!".  There are no lists presented when selecting the lookup control dropdown.  Could the instructions be explained at a beginner level - which I am.  And what Josh wrote in his post isn't working for me. Thank You!

0 Kudos
emha
Collaborator

Jump to solution

you have to configure for 'ID connected to" a field from list where you want to store selected value to.

have you done that?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks Hatala.  You pointed me in the right direction.

For other readers like me who are very new to Nintex Forms cascading dropdowns and want the drop downs to populate your final list here are a few extra tips that I don't believe are covered in this thread.

1. When you select "ID connected to" it will input the ID # of the lookup item  and adds it to your final list. Which is of no use to me because I need to have the value, not the ID #.    If you use the "Text connected to"  it will add the value to your final list.

2.  Here's what caused me so much pain.   When I dropped down either "ID connected to" or "Text connected to" it showed no columns to choose from except a "Title" column - which is the default column when a list is created, and I'm not using it.   Why?   BECAUSE YOU MUST CREATE TEXT COLUMNS IN YOUR FINAL LIST, EVEN IF YOUR LOOKUP LIST IS FORMATTED AS A Number COLUMN.   This seems kind of limiting in my case because I am looking up Store Numbers and District Numbers in my lookup lists and trying to transfer that information into my final list.   Now I have to configure my final list columns as Text for Store Number and District Number - very odd.   

3. I kept my changes to the List Lookup form control exactly as pictured above - which is a problem.   You must change the "List column name* " to the column you are trying lookup the data from - just type it in.

I hope this helps others trying to populate a final custom list from a cascading List Lookup Control sourced from other lists.

0 Kudos
ljt1227
Novice

Jump to solution

Watched the demo, tried to set it up the same way, cannot get any choices to show up in 2nd dropdown.  I'm trying to bring back cost center values by department.  My depts. in the first drop down control are:

My cost centers list is:

When I select "Legal" on the form, I should get back two options in the 2nd drop down: 005-001, 005-002.  As I is, I get no choices shown.  My 2nd drop down control is this:

The 2nd drop down always comes back empty.  Tried it a bunch of different ways.  Must be missing something.

Anyone know why?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Larry,  I believe they need to be set up as Lookup Columns.   Change your DeptName to a lookup field in the LookupCostCenter list and see if that does the trick. 

0 Kudos
ljt1227
Novice

Jump to solution

You are correct, Brad.  The field being filtered on against an existing control on the form MUST be a lookup column in SharePoint.  This fact may not be obvious from the video or the notes, but with this change it now works as expected.

Thanks for the helpful response.  I owe you one!

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Emily, Did create 2 lists and brought into a form. Followed exactly all steps. Filter on my second list isn't working. If I remove the filter I can see all of my list items (Column). When Add a filter - I can't see a single name. What can be a reason?

0 Kudos