DrewA
Apprentice

Re: Cascading drop downs and Nintex Forms for SharePoint

Jump to solution

Do you necessarily have to have two lookup lists? What if you have one list with two choice fields. In My example meant to provide data to a tech. support issue list, one choice field would be Application (with values Application X, Application Y and Application Z...) and the other would be Category (with values Category A, Category B, Category C...) such that an application would not have an entry for every category. I can see where this could show multiple listings of the same application appearing in the look-up field in the target list as one application would be associated with multiple categories (i.e. producing multiple list items with the same application value). Is there anyway to not show duplicates in such a lookup field? I ask as I would like to keep my lists library on the site as clean as possible.

0 Kudos
DrewA
Apprentice

Jump to solution

Update...based on additional specifications for my real world situation, above is no longer an issue (I will indeed need two lists now that additional data will only be captured at the category level and will be needed for the target list's related workflow.) However, if nothing else it could be addressed 'in theory' as a fun exercise here.

Otherwise, this is not a pressing issue for me at this time...so not urgent. Thanks!

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Great post, I done the same way and Cascading worked well. But I am not convinced page loading for each parent selection, please let me know a way to stop page loading in cascading. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution
The post back issue was fixed in the latest release of Nintex Forms 2013. You can download it from here Product Downloads . If you are on Nintex Forms 2010, the fix is coming in a future release.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Emily, thank you for this great post.

I must add one important suggestion. You need to add some comments under both of these following videos that the "Stores" list needs to have its "State" field as a "Lookup" field and not a "single line of text" field. It led to much confusion because this very critical information was not shown nor spoken during the videos.

Nintex Forms Cascading Dropdown videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx5q31FZF9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPUtIMWkyWE

shellyballard
Novice

Jump to solution

Thanks for walking though this! I do have a question though:

I am having trouble seeing the original data when editing an existing record in my drop down fields.

Here are the specifics:

• This Nintex form is for an external content type list.
  • When I go into the edit form for a record that already has data in the fields with drop downs, it shows the null text "Please select a value..."

Use case: A record is already created with data in the fields where I have drop downs. The user selects the record and wants to edit the selections. When the form appears I want to show the user the choice that was previously selected and allow the user to change it if necessary and have the new value save back to the list.

Screenshots:

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Emily Billing

Thanks for the post.

Scenarios       
             case1    case 2   case3
  • List A:   breakfast   dinner   dinner
  • List B:   sandwich   pizza      chicken
  • List C:   water          .....            tea
for cascading downdown in form: for above case 2, the 3rd cascading drop down shows, please select a value... ( for this dropdown, you will not have any value to show as this combination doesnt have any value as seen in above case2)

• My question is how to achieve this, in case 2 , in seen in screenshot below, 3rd cascading dropdown doesnt have any value depending on the selected values . soit  shouldnt even display the third cascading at all( as this combination doesnt have any value for the 3rd cascading dropdown to show)

case3:

Case2:

Really appreciate answers
0 Kudos
hinesdev
Scholar

Jump to solution

I have Nintex Forms 2010 version 1.11.0.0 with a Trial Enterprise license, and am not able to use cascading lookups inside of a repeating section.  Is this because of the trial license or is it a bug in the current version of Nintex Forms 2010?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I have successfully implemented a cascade following the instructions. However the instructions don't mention how to save the selected values into the list the form is built on.

I want to save both values in columns that are defined as lookups to the same sources (which sounds very logical to me).

But I can't figure out how.

As a workaround I save to some textfield, but then I only get to see the id of the lookup item, not the value. Something is missing in your instruction. Please can you clarify?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Josh, (or anyone) can you give a little more information on how to connect the control back to the Sharepoint list column?  I've been looking everywhere in the ribbon but can't find anything that helps.  I've gone to the Control Properties tab then to List Lookup.  In the General section of the ribbon there is a Name and ID connected to fields but they do not allow me to select my list.  Are you referring to CSS class or Control Settings class?  As you can tell, I'm not making much progress even though it probably is very easy. Thanks for any help. David

0 Kudos