Solved

Input validation - between 6 and 12 digits

Badge +3

I have a Nintex responsive form with a field for Account Number. This number can be a minimum or 6 digits and maximum of 12 digits. 

I need help on how I can set the Input validation regular expression to ensure users can enter a minimum of 6 digits (no spaces or characters) and a maximum of 12 digits (no spaces or characters).

Hope someone can assist!

icon

Best answer by Garrett 28 June 2023, 05:23

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @campbelllansw 

Try this

^[0-9]{6,12}$

^ : Start anchor

[0-9] : Character class to match one of the 10 digits

{6,12} : Range quantifier. Minimum 6 repetition and maximum 12.

$ : End anchor

Badge +3

Garret, thank you so much this worked perfectly. Much appreciate. 😀

Badge +3

I have one more validation issue I am trying to resolve:

In the text box I need  the prefix to show in field “C-” and then the user can enter min 5 max 6 characters (digits and/or characters.

E.g. C-12345  C-123456  C-TN1234  C-Q1234

Hope someone can help?!

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Try this

^[Cc]-[0-9]{6,12}$

^ : Start anchor

[Cc] : Character class to match either Uppercase or Lowercase C

- : Match hyphen character 

[0-9] : Character class to match one of the 10 digits

{6,12} : Range quantifier. Minimum 6 repetition and maximum 12.

$ : End anchor

Badge +3

I really appreciate you help, but after the “C- this can be characters, e.g., TN and or digits, 12345

So C-TN1234 or C-A12345 or C-123456

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Let me clarify

First two Char is “C-”

Next is 5-6 characters which can consist of

• TN and 3-4 digits → TN123, TN1234
  • 1 alphabet [A-Z] and 4-5 digits
  • 5-6 digits

or did you want next 5-6 any combination of alphabets and digits

Badge +3

Yes, they must always prefix with C- then the next 5 or 6 can be a combination of characters or numbers, E.g. C-TN1234 or C-123456 or C-12345 or C-A1234

Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hey @campbelllansw 

First two Char is “C-”

Next is 5-6 characters which can consist of

• TN and 3-4 digits → TN123, TN1234
  • or 1 alphabet [A-Z] and 4-5 digits
  • or 5-6 digits

^[Cc]-(TN\d{3,4}|[A-Za-z]\d{4,5}|\d{5,6})$

First two Char is “C-”

next 5-6 any combination of alphabets and digits

^[Cc]-(.{5,6})$

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Fixed. Prefix is C-

^C-.{5,6}$

Badge +3

Thank you so much Garrett….that has worked exactly as needed….very much appreciate you help and your quick response. 😀

Badge +3

Garret, can I ask for one more solution 😁

Is there any way to set the Pattern based on the choice of another fitler:

For example:

I have a choice field “Area Code”

If the user selects 02,03,04,05,06,06,08,09 then the length on the Telephone field is set to max 8 digits.

If the user select INTL then the Telephone field max digits is 15.

I looked at the rules but could not see any actions there that would set the rule?

Thanks

Badge +1

Is there a way to tweak this formula to enforce exactly five characters in a single-line-of-text field?  I already have a rule that enforces the value be numeric, as well as column setting to enforce a max of 5 characters, but I need to force the user to enter a minimum of five characters as well (it’s for a zip code).  Also, where is this formula to be used?  Control settings?  Rule on the control?  Javascript?

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Is there a way to tweak this formula to enforce exactly five characters in a single-line-of-text field?  I already have a rule that enforces the value be numeric, as well as column setting to enforce a max of 5 characters, but I need to force the user to enter a minimum of five characters as well (it’s for a zip code).  Also, where is this formula to be used?  Control settings?  Rule on the control?  Javascript?

You use it in the field controls under the validation tab, you can select Yes under “Use Regular Expression”. Then you can enter a regular expression that has to match whatever the users have to fill out. If you want to enforce exactly five characters, either letters or numbers, you can use ^\w{5}$. \w is the code for letters or numbers, and curlybraces detail how many. If you want five digits (numbers 0 to 9) you can use \d instead of \w. ^ details the start of the string, so it shouldn’t have anything else preceding it, and $ denotes the end of the string, meaning it shouldn’t have anything after it. Some examples:

• ^\w{5}$ matches exactly five characters, either letters or numbers like aBcde or q5ef3 or 12345 but not 124tew
  • ^\d{5}$ matches a five digit number, for instance 00000 or 12456 but not a532g
  • ^[a-z]{5}$ matches five lowercase letters, for instance abcde or aaaaa but not ALOv1 or FAahg
  • ^[A-Z]{5}$ matches five uppercase letters, for instance ABCDE or AAAAA but not aaaaa or AA341 or ABCDEF
Badge +1

You use it in the field controls under the validation tab, you can select Yes under “Use Regular Expression”. Then you can enter a regular expression that has to match whatever the users have to fill out. If you want to enforce exactly five characters, either letters or numbers, you can use ^\w{5}$. \w is the code for letters or numbers, and curlybraces detail how many. If you want five digits (numbers 0 to 9) you can use \d instead of \w. ^ details the start of the string, so it shouldn’t have anything else preceding it, and $ denotes the end of the string, meaning it shouldn’t have anything after it. Some examples:

• ^\w{5}$ matches exactly five characters, either letters or numbers like aBcde or q5ef3 or 12345 but not 124tew
  • ^\d{5}$ matches a five digit number, for instance 00000 or 12456 but not a532g
  • ^[a-z]{5}$ matches five lowercase letters, for instance abcde or aaaaa but not ALOv1 or FAahg
  • ^[A-Z]{5}$ matches five uppercase letters, for instance ABCDE or AAAAA but not aaaaa or AA341 or ABCDEF

Awesome!  I didn’t think it was that simple.  Much appreciated!