Solved

How to Query a list and get the corresponding column value in Nintex workflow cloud

• 30 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

Hi All,

I wanted to assign a flexi task whenever a calendar event is filled in sharepoint online.

I am a first time user of NAC and i am trying to send approval email to manager whenever people are going for vacation. But we have multiple locations and multiple managers, so i have created a master list and adding lookup in the calendar list so i can use query a list action just like in on premise to match the ID’s and get the manager value from the master list and assign the task.

when i query i am not getting the lookup values of the list i am starting the workflow to match to the master list, it should be easy right?

But i am finding it very hard to achieve this simple task in Nintex Automation cloud, any help is appreciated.

icon

Best answer by brent_read 30 April 2024, 18:52

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @AshMa,

Just to confirm it sounds like you’re trying to have a solution that gets the manager for the user submitting the calendar event.  Instead of setting up a secondary list you may want to investigate using the Azure AD Get Manager Details action instead.  This action pulls the manager data from Azure AD so you don’t have an additional requirement of maintaining a different list.

For the lookup side, the query list action only returns the id of the lookup (this is the actual value stored in Sharepoint).  With a secondary list you’d use the retrieve an item action on the manager list and use the ID from the lookup column to return the values you’re looking for.

Badge +3

@brent_read  Thanks for your reply.

My situation is i have 4 locations and 4 different managers. I maintain them in the master list.

On the calendar list i add a lookup column for location and ID. so i can match the query a list just like in on premise with the ID of the calendar record and ID of the master list and get the Manager value from the list. but i am not matching the condition right, because i am not getting the Lookup values in the start event

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @AshMa 

Ahh, I see the issue in the condition.  I’d suggest starting by using retrieve an item instead of query list (this is an easier method that will return a single item from the target list).  Next, instead of putting the ID from the start variable, you should put in the value from the lookup column for the item ID to retrieve.

The way a lookup works in Sharepoint is it stores the ID value of the item in the list its doing the lookup to.  So by using retrieve an Item targeted at your manager/location list with the value from the lookup column, you should be able to retrieve the values you’re looking for.

Badge +3

@brent_read  Thanks for your response and i was able to achieve it.