Question

Upgrading to K2 5.7 (now Automation) from v5.4 - any speed bumps?

• 6 November 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Hi all,

Just wanted to post on here for any feedback from anyone who has upgraded to v5.7 automation from an earlier version of K2 five.

We are currently on v5.4 and I was planning to upgrade to v5.6, but now with the release of 5.7, I was hoping to get any feedback on all pitfalls and any dropped features which scupper my upgrade.

I’ve never known a K2 upgrade go smoothly, so I just want to get my expectations in check and gather any info from those of you who have gone through the upgrade.

To help, here’s a few questions:

1. Is it too early to upgrade to 5.7, should I go to 5.6 from 5.4 instead?
  2. Will K2 Studio continue to work smoothly (we have a lot of legacy workflows which work great in v5.4, I don’t want them to break). From watching the Feb 23 K2 product update, I believe that K2 Studio is now bundled into the 5.7 installation, rather than it being separate
  3. Will Hybrid Email mode still be supported? i.e. SMTP mail via K2 form Rules - Send Email and Exchange Mail via Workflows Send Email
  4. Will custom jQuery code continue to work in form controls?
  5. Does this 5.7 version include flexible security to allow users to deploy Workflows and refresh SQL Connections without the need for Admin rights? 

Is there any other pitfalls or issues we need to be aware off? Any major functionality removed?

Lastly, why has K2 the name been buried in favour of Automation? The 2023 product and upgrade webinars said that K2 is here to stay, but now it appears K2 has been dropped from the product name...Is this a gradual spin to get K2 users into using other Nintex products?

Thanks, any info appreciated, I just want to best prepare for the upgrades, 

2 replies

Badge +9

Lastly, why has K2 the name been buried in favour of Automation? The 2023 product and upgrade webinars said that K2 is here to stay, but now it appears K2 has been dropped from the product name...Is this a gradual spin to get K2 users into using other Nintex products?

This is my question too, why the K2 name is being removed from the tool now?

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

With the introduction of Service Instance Security in K2 5.6, you may see a blocking error if you have orphaned service instances.  This usually happens if the service type is deleted before deleting the service instances.  You can check if there are any orphaned service instances with:

SELECT * FROM [SmartBroker].[ServiceInstance] WHERE [ServiceTypeGuid] NOT IN (SELECT [Guid] FROM [SmartBroker].[ServiceType])

Deleting the orphaned service instance should let you Recover from this blocking error.