Solved

Auto Approve Future Tasks with duplicate approver

• 8 September 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +5

Hi,

I previously made this post in K2 Blackpearl site but I think here is much more appropriate! Mods I’m not too sure how to delete a topic!

We’ve got a large Approval workflow for requests that spans across multiple departments. We’ve had instances where  approver A (Line manager) is the same as a future departmental approver.

Is it possible to configure it where if Approver A has seen it once, it will auto approve future tasks he is allocated if by the chance they are also a departmental approver?

Many thanks!

icon

Best answer by tbyrne777 8 September 2023, 16:01

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I’ll duplicate my response here and we can just follow up on this one: Is it acceptable to skip the future approval all together instead of auto-approve? Then you can build this path into your workflow

Badge +5

Hi!

Skipping will be fine! I can’t think of a way to build it into the workflow due to amount of potential approvers there could be when using the “originator manager” recipient.

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Are both of these approval steps in the same workflow process? If so, when approval A is complete you can capture who did the approval in a data field. Then, for approval B which has potential to be skipped you would have a decision in place to see if the person you captured that approved Approval A is someone that would allow Approval B to be skipped. 

I guess I’m a little fuzzy on the business logic of how you would know if a particular approver can skip something but this would be the basic approach. If it gets too complicated to do this logic in a decision rule, do you have the ability to integrate with a Stored Procedure or Web Service that can do the heavy lifting of determining if an approval can be skipped?

Badge +5

That makes sense, I will attempt the datafield approach if not a stored procedure, I already have a number executed by the same workflow.

Thank you for your suggestions I have what I need to go off!

Badge +13

Depends on the audit requirement - If a process requires approval from a certain committee but it did not would make it harder to retrace why it was skipped, especially when the approver later is no longer in the committee.

Anyone tried below?

Deadline feature has a way to approve, After Time allows you to set Days down to seconds.

A precalcuated fields could be assigned there, if no auto approve then set days to some huge number to span hundreds of years.   Or few seconds if already approved in previous stage.

Badge +5

Thanks for your comments PYao, I do take advantage of the deadline/reminder features for escalations and cancellations already!

I found using the data field option seems to work better for me due to the dynamic nature of the approvers on the workflow.

I still need to do a bit more testing to ensure its perfect​​​​​