AnsweredAssumed Answered

convert multi-line to string?

Question asked by brian.wallace@voya.com on Jan 12, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 13, 2016 by brian.wallace@voya.com

Ok, new to Nintex workflows (< 1hour) and already hit my first bump.    I'm probably missing something, but there a way to convert a list column / field of type Multiple lines of text to a string?   I have a sharepoint list with a multiline field (we'll call it text1) that sometimes is populated with a long text block.  This obviously does not display well when the list is viewed.   I would like to take a substring (say first 100 characters of text1) and populate a second field (text1_brief - single line of text) with it.   

I tried substring and mid, both returned errors  (type mismatch)

• The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information.

What am i missing?

Also, is there a language reference somewhere?   just looking for simple stuff:

• Can + be used for string concatenation or is it strictly math?
  • do offsets start at zero (0) or one (1)  e.g., starting character parameter in mid  (yes, I could use process of elimination, but you get the point)
  • are combination operators available += | =+, etc.
  • is assignment (=) different than comparison (==), is there a strict comparison (===)

Thanks and sorry for if I missed something obvious, still trying to find my footing on this site.

Brian

Outcomes