AnsweredAssumed Answered

Work Flow Newbie Question 2 of ???

Question asked by twgaynor on Jun 29, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 15, 2015 by chris.ben

For at least the next several months as I try to get some hands on experience with Nintex Workflow and Forms, I will always start my questions off with the obligatory apology for my asking such a simple question.  Hopefully as I learn the product, I will free up some time after I implement my solutions in my organization so I can spend some time on the forum answering newbie questions, rather than littering the site with them (like the one I pose now).

I have envisioned a scenario where an initial selection in a dead simple list, triggers subsequent workflows and related forms based on choices made.  So in an HR example, I have a site column that lists all of the different change "Forms" (really processes with specific data that applies).  So in my simple list, the user would "Add" a new item which would simply only be the selection of what "form" they were filling out.

So the user chooses from the pull down menu one of the forms, say a "New Hire".    (I am definitely more comfortable in designing the form and the related columns than I am in designing or imagining the work flow).  So my question is:

How would any of you suggest I go about starting a workflow that runs automatically ( I know where to set that) but that filters based on that initial choice?  So if "New Hire" was the value chosen from the Site Column on the initial form, I would then design a specific set of workflows and subsequent associated forms.  So the next question might be after a "New Hire" was selected and saved, the workflow would prompt if a Background Check had been completed yet or not.  If so, they could jump onto the New Hire "Form" and choose the staff from the list of available employees in the Background Check List.  (I have that in place)  If a Background check had not been completed, then they would be directed to complete a new "Background Check" form which is already in place.

Clearly another choice might be a "Promotion" or "Address Change" or "Retirement" or "Involuntary Termination".  Each of these choices would trigger a different set or work flows and forms, machine states etc.  

It's this notion of filter based off initial choice, and then relate outcome to other workflows and  or forms that I am struggling with now.  I know exactly the steps I need to take for any given process, and exactly what data to collect, what rules and validation I want to use, and am trying to design a series of related, simple little forms and workflows, rather than designing a massively complex single workflow that would be a bear to manage and troubleshoot.  I just can't seem to figure out with trial and error so far how to do this.

I truly appreciate any suggestions you can offer.  Feel free to point me towards any existing posts, sites, or links to video I have not found on my own so far.  I have had some introductory training (some time ago) and am signed up for more, but need to get some proofs of concept in front of people sooner rather than later.

Best Regards,  

Outcomes