AnsweredAssumed Answered

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object." when trying to "Create item in another site" with VARIABLE site URL.

Question asked by tedpotter on Jun 23, 2015
Latest reply on Jul 7, 2015 by cju@evolusys.ch

So, the "Create item in another site" action works GREAT for me when I have a static, explicit URL. I can create items all day long with no issue.

BUT, I need to create items where I don't know the site until run time.  The action allows a reference to be used for the Site URL.  So I pull in the URL from a Workflow Variable.  When I click Refresh, it pops up a dialog box saying: "The Site URL contains reference tags. Please manually replace any remaining tags."

Ok, I say to myself, that makes sense, it needs a real site to look at so it can populate the List dropdown. No worries, since any site I'm going to give it will have the same lists/libraries.  I give it an explicit site URL, click ok, and the List dropdown refreshes.  I pick the Shared Documents library, pick the Content Type, set the Name field, and save. Publish the workflow.

When I run it I get the dreaded "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." error.

What am I missing here?  (See below for a screenshot of the action's configuration.)

Outcomes