AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to prevent a workflow from starting?

Question asked by tb_cs on Mar 16, 2015
Latest reply on Mar 16, 2015 by tb_cs

Here's my scenario:  Using Nintex Workflow for Office 365, I have a workflow that is configured to start when an item is created and modified.  I want to change these settings to not run when an item is created or modified so that I can import a bunch of items without kicking off these workflows.  I update the workflow settings in the app, publish the workflow, and the workflow still executes for every item I create. I have found that if I go to the Workflow settings for the list and set the workflow to No New Instances it will typically stop the workflow from running, though there have been times on other list workflows where I've had to Remove the workflow to get it to not run when new items are created.  If I create an SPD2010 or 2013 workflow I do not have this problem.

So if I have to set the workflow to No New Instances or even Remove the workflow to get it to not run, is this expected behavior? Should I not be able to just change the settings in the workflow, publish it, and have it run (or not run) based on those settings?

Outcomes