AnsweredAssumed Answered

Understanding "Require Manage List Rights" WF-Starting Option

Question asked by philipplucas on Feb 16, 2017
Latest reply on Feb 16, 2017 by philipplucas

Hi Folks,

first of all I would like to know if the Workflow-Settings checkbox "Require Manage List Rights" only applies to manually started workflows or does it also apply to workflows that should be started automatically by item-created/item-modified? Any official information on that would be great!

This is the option I'm talking about:

Unfortunately the help is not 100% clear at this point as it says "When this setting is checked, the user starting the workflow will require the Manage Lists right and the Contributor permissions level.".

Of course I tested it myself but got a rather unsatisfying result:

First Test on Nintex 2013 (my local machine):

• Activated the checkbox "Require Manage List Rights" in the workflow
  • Removed ALL permissions from the list AND the web for a test user
  • Provided Contribute-rights for the test user only on the list
  • Checked if Testuser can start workflow manually ==> No, he can't!
  • Checked if Testuser can start workflow by creating an item ==> Yes, he can!

Result: Seems like the "Require Manage List Rights" option does not affect workflows started automatically by creating/updating an item.

Second Test on Nintex 2010 (customer machine):

• Activated the checkbox "Require Manage List Rights" in the workflow
  • Checked users permission (Has contribute on whole site and the specific list but no "Manage Lists" right)
  • Checked if User can start workflow by creating an item ==> No, he can't!
  • Checked if User can start workflow manually ==> Still waiting for feedback from the customer

Result: Seems like the "Require Manage List Rights" option DOES affect workflows started automatically by creating/updating an item.

Am I missing something obvious here? Or did Nintex modify this option for 2013 without asking me if I'm fine with it?

I would be very grateful if someone could check this out on his/her machine and give me some feedback on the results.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers

Philipp

Outcomes