AnsweredAssumed Answered

Parse HTML from a table in an email body

Question asked by andreapasutti on Dec 7, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 14, 2017 by rhia

We want our SQL database to send an email with a table of countries to a library. The workflow needs to run when the email arrives and reference only the table contents in the email body. Then the workflow will parse apart the table rows and populate a list with the data. I know how to do that part, I've developed this kind of workflow before, but we've always started with a .csv file.

What I can't figure out (because I'm still fairly new at HTML) is how to get the workflow to read the email. I found one thread that addresses this specific issue, but it's been dormant for a while and no solid solution given. The respondent suggested they use the Query XML action, save the contents to a "Multi String variable", and then use a Regular Expression to parse the information.

Not knowing what to do first, I thought I would start by viewing the source of one of the emails that was forwarded to me. I copied the HTML and pasted it into the Query XML action and clicked on the XPath builder tree view to see what I could see. I got an error message when I clicked on tree view that said "Error parsing xml: A string literal was expected, but no opening quote character was found." So then I played around with the HTML, but no luck. I really don't know what I'm doing.

I want my workflow to take an email, find the start of the table, and start parsing the data from there. How do I do that?

Outcomes