AnsweredAssumed Answered

Best way to aumatically restart workflows when errored out?

Question asked by rakesh.narayan.lal on Sep 22, 2016
Latest reply on Oct 3, 2016 by rakesh.narayan.lal

Hi All,

I need some advice on this. So we have couple of list\library workflows. Now because of different reasons, these workflows sometimes errors out and get stuck unless I go and terminate the existing instance and restart it manually. I want something to keep an eye on these workflows at regular intervals and if they error-ed out, it terminates the existing instance and start the new one.

For this, I have 2 solutions in my mind, one does not looks to be fulfilling this requirement completely and other might start impacting performance over the time so need your comments\inputs. Please help decide or share any new ideas that you have.

1. Create another workflow in the same list or library and have it trigger when items get modified which then check the status codes of other workflow and if it see the workflow error-ed out, it terminates the existing instance and start the new instance. To my point that I mentioned earlier about option 1 not fulfilling the requirement is that the list\document library don't gets modified frequently so triggering this workflow is a problem.
  2. Create a site workflow to start the list or library workflow which runs at regular intervals and if it sees any workflow error-ed out, it terminates the existing instance and start the new one. I have following concerns\doubt with this approach:
    1. Running this workflow at regular intervals and querying different lists with large amount of data may impact the performance over time.
    2. I am assuming using the web service, it would be possible to query the list\library for failed workflow instances and then terminate the existing instance and start the new instance.

I am on SharePoint 2010 and Nintex Workflow 2010 environment.

Appreciate your comments or inputs.

Thanks!

Outcomes