AnsweredAssumed Answered

Parallel Workflows Update Same Item

Question asked by tast on Jun 21, 2016
Latest reply on Jun 24, 2016 by greenawayr

I have three workflows that run in parallel. In order to keep things in "sync" I have created a table called Variables - basically each workflow has a task(s), when the task is completed the workflow writes to the Variables table so the other two workflows know the status of that task.

This works great 99% of the time. We recently started seeing issues when two of the tasks get assigned to the same person. The person answers one task then immediately answers the next task. This causes both workflows to try to update the record at the same time. The first workflow is successful but the second workflow errors stating: "The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information"

Since this is a list I cannot utilize the SharePoint Check-In/Check-Out - in which I could simply wait for the item to be Checked back in to update. Are there any other ways to catch this error?  I don't mind if the workflow has to wait a bit - I am more concerned with it crashing because of the error.

I do have Commit Pending Changes before and after the Update List Item action on both workflows but that doesn't seem to help.

Outcomes