AnsweredAssumed Answered

Is there a way in 2013 to parse a rich text multiple lines of text field into a collection?

Question asked by alex on Feb 24, 2016

I have a Nintex workflow in a list that was migrated from SP 2010 to 2013 and now it's no longer working as it was.  The list has a multiple lines of text column and the workflow needs drop each line into a collection.

In 2010 this field was rich text and the workflow had a regular expression action where the pattern is "\n" which is replaced with {Common:NewLine} and another regular expression action that splits the resulting action on {Common:NewLine}.  This resulted in a collection where each line in the text is a new entry (splitting straight on the \n didn't work).

2013 does not split the multiple lines, instead it is all part of one line.  I have not been able to find a way to get it to work.  I've tried other new line delimiters but no luck, perhaps I am missing the correct one.

The only way I have gotten it to run is to change the field to plain text and parse on a carriage return in the pattern field. The problem with this solution is the existing items now shows the html so each line is surrounded with a div tag which is not acceptable.  There are over 3000 items in this list so updating them would be a problem.

Outcomes