Copy workflow status to new column

• 5 September 2016
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

I would like to copy the workflow status to the newly created column, the reason behind creating it is because a timer job deletes workflow history after 60 days so we can still get or find out the previous history from that newly created column, does anyone have the nicer solution. The cancelling timer job or editing it is not the option for my requirement, need to be done via Nintex WF. 

Many thanks 

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello,

You  could always create a single line of text column, and just the the text of this column throughout the workflow with whatever "status" information you desire.   This way is a lot more  flexible than just using the out of the box status in my opinion.   To accomplish this  just  use the set field action or the update item action and set the text of the status column you created accordingly.

Thanks,

Mike

Badge +2

It works thanks, how do I copy the historical Nintext workflow status set by "Set workflow status" action? Do I need run the modified workflow manually on all historical list data or there is a way to automate it. 

Many thanks Mike

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hey glad it worked.   I would suggest automating it.  You could create another workflow just for historical reasons if you wanted to and either run it individually on each item, or create a batch query type workflow and do them all at once.   If it exists on the same list itself simply use a set field action and insert the reference to the workflow status column to grab its value and place into your  new status column.    The same concept could be used in batch, but you'd  have to query list, and then loop through your results with a  foreach action to grab the old values  and fill in the new ones.     The first way requires only 1 action in the entire workflow though,  so I suggest that over the batch method.   You could then set the workflow to run on item modify and quickly modify some column to get it  run and fill in.     This will grab only the  last "'current" workflow status.  After you are done remove this workflow  from running on edit since it'll only be  a 1 time back fill for preexisting items.

Thanks!

Badge +2

Hi Mike,

Sorry to bother you again, I think I like the update/copy old status in batch, is that possible you could provide a sample or any link you come across in the past it might help me out.

Many thanks again...