How do I find the tasks for a particular list item?

• 15 December 2017
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

New to SharePoint and Nintex.  Using SharePoint 2016 On Prem and Nintex 2016.

I've a workflow that assigns a number of to-do tasks.  Now I want to run a separate site workflow that checks those tasks and, when completed, updates the corresponding list item and sends an email notification to say process is complete.

If I query the list items, is there a way to find all tasks associated with a particular list item?  I know that ID will give me the unique id of each task but what property identifies the tasks that relate to that item?

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hi,

This could be done as part of the original workflow if required? The workflow will not progress without the task being completed. If you are issuing a number of different tasks simultaneously then you could issue them in parallel actions and then wait till they all complete. If you're issuing these in a serial manner then surely just wait till the last task is completed before performing the update?

Or is there any reason why a single task cannot be assigned to multiple users and wait till all users respond before progressing the workflow.

Is there a specific reason you need a separate workflow to evaluate these tasks as complete? 

Badge +1

Nope, no reason to separate if not needed.  I thought that the workflow blocked, waiting for tasks to be complete, before proceeding but when I tested, it didn't seem to happen that way.  I'll test again and see if it might just be the way I have the workflow organized.

Thanks for the reply