Start List Workflow From Site Worklfow

• 15 December 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge +8

I have a site workflow that I wish to call a list workflow from. The list workflow is intended to copy and rename a document for archive purposes. I would put the logic all in the site workflow, but it appears that this functionality is best done in a list workflow.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

I don't know what 's the question.

I also think it's better in that case to place your logic on the list workflow.

Badge +8

Sorry, I guess that was a bit vague. I want to start the list workflow from the site workflow. In the start workflow action though only the site workflows show in the dropdown.

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Hi Roger Brown,

You can initiate a list workflow on an item from a Site workflow using "Call Web Service" action as shown below. You have to pass the list item id, list name, workflow name as parameters. You can use workflow start variables to capture list item id, name and workflow name. For more details, please refer to this link.

Thank you.

Krishna.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi Roger,

I would only use the site workflow as a simple schedule tool if possible and put minimal logic inside it. Let the list workflow do the heavy lifting. No need to span any complexity over to locations.

Regards,

Patrick

Badge +8

‌, I need it to be a site workflow because I want to start it from a web part. You can't start a list workflow from a web part, for obvious reasons. The list workflow needs to have context to know which item to run on.