Task and history lists for site workflows

• 8 September 2016
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

is it possible/supported to change default task and history lists for site workflows?

workflow's setting dialog provides that option but once I publish a workflow and reopen it, I do have configured back default lists for both of them.

NWF 2013 on prem

15 replies

Badge +8

Marian,

What is your NWF version?

Glenda

Userlevel 5
Badge +14
Badge +11

Yes there is:

Creating the History List

1. Go to Site Settings

2. Under Nintex Workflow select "manage workflow history lists".

3. Select new.

4. Assign a name (and description if needed).

5. Click Create.

Setting Retention Policies

1. in the History List View you accessed from the steps above, click the history list name in the list. This will open your history list.

2. Open the list settings.

3. Go to "Information management policy settings"

4. You will see a link within all the text on the page that says "Change source or configure list schedule" click that link.

5. Set Source of retention to "Library and Folders"

6. Down below click "Add a retention stage.."

7. The "The stage is based off a date property on the item" is already checked. Leave created selected and then select the amount of time you want to retain the history.

8. Under action, you can leave Move to Recycle Bin or select Delete Permanently.

9. Click Ok to save.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

thanks for feedback, burkslm

I know how to create (custom) history list.

the problem I experience is that nintex do not accept my custom history list in site workflow settings. it pretends it allows me to change it, but once I  publish workflow and reopen it in designer there are configured back default lists.

and just the same I experience for task list.

Badge +11

I would try creating a new workflow that is just for testing purposes. Only put one action - like Log History. Set the History List to one of  your customized ones. Save and publish and see if you have the same problem with that one.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I've tried that and discovered that it works at some sites but it doesn't at the others within the same farm...

any clue what might be a reason? are there needed any special permissions for that?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

have anybody else any ideas?

Badge +11

Then it could be almost anything on the farm.

Badge +11

, I shared this with some folks out here who are familiar with SharePoint Admin issues. Help is on the way!!!

Badge +11

‌, ‌ come on out and play!!! grin.png

Badge +11

‌, ‌ come on out and play! grin.png

Badge +11

Thanks Lisa burkslm, for calling out loud. grin.png

Honestly, I have not experienced this. I have 4 different history lists in a site collection and 2 of them are being used by 2 different site workflows. Even if I republish the workflows, it does not erase the already configured history list or reset it.

I'm sure there are no special permissions required for this. If you are able to create a new history list, then you surely have access to change it within workflow. Will look out for more info. 

Badge +11

Yep! I had to do a shout out to my partners!!!! happy.png

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

No experience of this either I'm afraid, and don't have an on-prem environment available to me to test on this current moment.

*Waves to Nintex team to sort out dev licences for "valued" community members* wink.png

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

so, finally I managed to identify the reason of problems.

and guilty one were orphaned/accidental trailing spaces at the end of history resp. task list name(s).

ie. sharepoint accepts list names with spaces, but nintex  might come into troubles in some cases.

in my case that the most probably was caused by copy&pasting of them.

after further tests I came to the conclusion that leading space character(s) at the beginning  of list name (eg. " HistList") or trailing at the end of list name (eg. "HistList ") cause problems.

the space character(s) in the middle of the name (eg. "Hist List" is not a problem at all.

not sure whether this is by design or a bug...

thanks to all who spent a time trying to resort this and especially to ‌ for bringing this to attention.