Wait for an Item Update Action

Badge +8

Hi,

I have a series of actions in a workflow and I would like to wait until an item is modified to process next step in the workflow.  I tried "Wait for an Item Update" action which forces users to select a field that need to be updated before proceeding to the next step in the workflow. How can I configure this action so that the workflow moves to  the next step when an item is modified.

Or  if there is any other action that I can use to achieve the same, please let me know.

Thank you,

2 replies

Badge +11

Hi Chaithanya,

there is no similar action. You could use the "wait for" action to wait for a specific amount of time and use this in a loop to check like once a day if this item has changed.

Otherwise just use the wait for item update action as it seems to do exactly what you need, doesn't it?

If you can't chose a specific column because you want to do something whenever any column changes, I recommend to create a separate workflow and let it start on item modification.

Regards

Philipp

Badge +8

Hi Philip,

I already tried your second option of starting a new workflow  as the next step in the workflow and set it to start manually and when an Item is modified. But this second workflow almost starts immediately before all the steps in the previous workflow are completed.

Not sure what am doing wrong. I saw that "Start a workflow" has couple of properties where I can control the behaviour of workflow start however, i dont think it is working...

Let me try this one more time..

Thank you