How to get XML from Historical Forms Without Named Controls

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi there!

I've recently taken over a fairly large chunk of Nintex work, and I now have a request to build a spreadsheet from list data. That's fine, as these folks have been using Nintex Forms foreeeeever.

However.

The form they want the information drawn from, at least 75% of them are unnamed AND unconnected.

Originally I thought I would just name the form fields (done now) and draw the XML (hoping it would go retroactively) .. but alas, that does not seem to work.

Then I thought maybe if I build out columns and connect them to the controls, that'd pull the data over.  Nope.

So now I'm trying to just pull over a big ole' chunk of XML but it's bringing back this:

XML = <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><FormVariables><Version /><b1e6e78c-911a-4353-9194-d6dbdb62a94d type="System.Boolean">True</b1e6e78c-911a-4353-9194-d6dbdb62a94d><f19cf139-b594-42f6-87d8-d04106c6d024 type="System.Boolean">True</f19cf139-b594-42

And thaaaaat's it.

This is a form with 22 controls I need to draw from.

What the heck, folks. Any thoughts here? What's the best way of getting this historical XML form data into columns for over 200 records?

Cheers,

Rhia

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

haven't you tried, once you named all the controls in a from, to open old items in edit mode and just save them?

I have never tried that but there is a chance that it will recognize controls by GUIDs on load and then save them with names.

other possibility I would see is to export XML of old item (with GUIDs) and XML of new item (with names). if form structure hasn't changed you should be able to compare those two XML's in some tool and match control's GUIDs to names.

then you could design small worflow that would go through all your 200 items and replace GUIDs with names.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi Marian! Thanks for your response.

Yes - opening the item and editing it and saving it works - but I would have to do this for all 200+ items.

In terms of exporting the XML, I did a "log history" of the XML and it only gave me the 2 lines you see in my original post. Is there another way to do this? There should be at least 22 items.

Thank you!

Rhia

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

yes, sent it with notification action into mailbox.

make sure to set mail format to plain text

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Thanks Marian happy.png I think this is definitely the closest I'll get to being able to do this.

Funny thing, though ... if you name all your controls, even pulling XML from historical forms just pulls the new names... good to know int he future!