cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

set a condition for dummies!

Jump to solution

Good afternoon. 

I am a total Nintex Workflow Novice & have had the most basic training you could imagine.

What i have is a form, created from a list where i need to make a workflow decision based on a couple of criteria.

Firstly i need to have "manager" requested for authorisation when two conditions are met.

A)  If the request is outside of office hours (08:30 - 16:30) but ONLY if the request is ABOVE £8000

B) If the request is INSIDE office hours (08:30 - 16:30) but ONLY if the request is ABOVE £2500

Therefore if the request is INSIDE Office hours & is BELOW £2500 then no manager authorisation is required & the workflow should move on to the next step.

I have a column in my list that established the date & time that the form is/was started

I have another column that records the value of the request

Also, i have the basic workflow set up for the parallel actions but it is not totally clear where a condition should be put

I gather that i need to set a condition but i cannot seem to adapt this to within a time range or outside a time range.

To further complicate matters if the request is made at a weekend (Saturday & Sunday) then this is also regarded as outside office hours (dunno if this makes any difference?)

Some gentle guidance would be warmly welcome. Please bear in mind this is day one for me so i might not get you if you talk too geeky!!!

Thanks in advance - Pete

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: set a condition for dummies!

Jump to solution

Hi Peter,

instead of running actions parallel have a look at the "logic and flow" group in your workflow designer it holds an action called "run if" which can hold your condition and execute an optional part that is only run if the condition is true.

Besides of that you also can use the "set a condition" action that validates a condition to true or false and lets you define workflows for both outcomes.

In both you can easily check if the current item's value colums is above or below a specific value.

Calculating workflow hours is a tough one though. I found a post that describes a solution but it's not really easy especially when you're new to Nintex Workflows.

Kind regards,

Enrico

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Thanks Enrico - you are right about the other post being complex!

I will have a look at logic & flow

No doubt i will have more questions - but its nearly the weekend

One for Monday i think!

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

I have had another idea - just want to run its viability & possible pitfalls past you before i try it

I've adjusted my list & input form to have a 3 way choice. Office hours = Yes/No, Cost over £2500 = Yes/No, Cost over £8000 = Yes/No

I presume this would work if i set a condition? Any tips!?

Pete

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi Pete,

didn't you want to start your weekend?

Well, that would work but you will have to rely on your users that they understand all constellations and give you correct information.

I'd get rid of the PGM cost boxes and just evaluate the pgm cost value the user entered before. You can easily check if a cost value is above or below a specific value.

For the first shot you could try somethink like this:

In your workflow try the following

What do you think?

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

I reckon thats the one - deffo Monday though!

HAGWE - & ta for your help.....

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hello again...

I am close to doing this but am puzzled how you manged to get the " >2500" & ">8000" in the run if boxes.

i cant see the option for a "greater than" - this is what i see:

What am i missing?

Also, below is the top part of my workflow. The right side is the managers authorisation. This will only run if outside office hours. The left branch will be is it over 2500 & the right branch will be is it over 8000 (at least this is how i see it!)

On the left side of the workflow is the Auth by PT. This will run irrespective of what happens on the right as PT will have to authorise EVERY document. Managers will only be required to authorise as detailed above

There is every chance i have totally the wrong end of the stick with this!

Any thoughts? I notice you lines are different to mine - whats that about?

Pete

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi again,

If I understood your scenario right you should create a PGM Cost column of type currency. If you have fields of type currency or number, the condition rules will change to greater or equal and so on. In your first screen you have not set a value so it shows you the string condition rules.

I only have a denglish screenshot, sorry

Would that work for you? Or do you simply want the user select of > 2500 or > 8000 instead of typing the value by hand?

Your workflow looks good to me though. I think it will do what you want to achieve. You only should move those 2 flexi tasks on the right into the respective run-if-actions.

What do you mean with those different lines though?

Kind regards,

Enrico

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

i am possibly being a bit dim but as i see this "configure action box"

What it is asking is to carry out the action if the value is "> 2500"  (IE if the initiator has types this EXACTLY like this in text form)

I would have thought we need to ask if the value is greater than or equal to (in the equals pull down) than the value that has been entered into the "Approx PGM Cost" field in the list/form.  I decided against having a yes/no answer to the two values (2500 or 8000) & have a field where the initiator enters the approximate value of the PGM. this is how the form/list looks now:

I have made a couple of enhancements to the overall since last log:

Don't be fooled by the lack of warning triangles in the 2 Run/If boxes - these are the two i still need to configure correctly as detailed above.

I really don't have a clue what to do to resolve this.  

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

got it! Changed the list value to Sterling & it configured just fine

Ta again. UR a lifesaver....

0 Kudos