how do i connect a drop down list options to a sharepoint list

• 12 January 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Again, same person who is trying to convert InfoPath forms to Nintex forms.  On my current InfoPath form, I have several drop downs that pull data from an existing sharepoint list.  In InfoPath, I can select the option "Get choices from an external data source".  From there I can then select the sharepoint list and assigned properties to look for.  This is all from the drop down list properties.  I don't see anything of that nature in the Insert reference.  It is possible, I just have to manually enter the list name and set the rules based on which data it needs to look for.  If someone could point me in the correct direction, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

first option is that you configure lookup field in the list

when you then drag and drop list column on form it will take over list field definition.

second option is configure lookup control on form manually

for the easiest case on list name and column name are mandatory

212102_pastedImage_2.png

212095_pastedImage_1.png

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Ok, missed this item in the form controls.  Thank you.  I have a few more questions.  I'm having a small issue trying to filter out items in my list.  In InfoPath, I could create a simple filter that would look for specific values in columns see pic

212196_pastedImage_1.png

That way I only have to maintain one list.  Also, it narrows the amount of items showing up in the list drop down. So when I go to filtering inside the control setting, I only get field options not columns.  I've set the "Filter available selections" to "by a specified value". It appears I can only filter by one value.  I've tried to insert an inline function of "And", but I'm receiving the following error: 

212197_pastedImage_2.png

I believe you should be able to filter on multiple columns within a list.  I'm just guessing I have the syntax down incorrectly.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Small adjustment (still doesn't work), but I noticed to insert an "And" statement in the Dynamic Text to insert, you place the values within the parenthesis.  However, that still creates an error that there are no fields (columns) that match that name within the list.  I'm starting to believe I can only filter against one value here.    

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

It appears I can only filter by one value

yes, you're right.

in nintex, lookup control can only be (dynamically) filtered by a single field/value.

this is usually worked around few ways.

- if it's a static filter you can create a view in list out of as many fields as you need (sharepoint allows) and configure the view in 'Source view' lookup control option.

- for dynamic filters (that follows actual values on form) you can create a cascade of few lookup controls. so eg. first lookup control will ask to chose EquipmentType, second will ask to choose Active flag but will already be filtered just to those Active flags which are valid for EquipmentType chosen in first step. in 3rd step you select from Equipments filtered by ActiveFlag control (so effectively by both EquipmentType and ActiveFlag)

- you can create calculated list field out of fields you want to filter by (so eg. EquipmentType +"-"+ ActiveFlag). in the form you create similar calculation with the same format out of form controls. finally you set up a filter on calculated list filed by a value of calculated form control.

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

These were all very helpful.  Thank you.  I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions as I begin to use Nintex over InfoPath.  Thanks