cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

optional tasks & parallel actions?

Jump to solution

I am brand new to Nintex and while I'm waiting for my "official training" I'm trying to figure things out by doing. Any help for a newbie is much appreciated !

My first 2 questions are is it possible to include optional tasks in the workflow, and do so as a parallel action, but not force the workflow to wait for an optional task to be completed (which it might never be) ?

When a new item is created I want 3 things to happen simultaneously :

1 - send a notification to specific people

2 - send an optional task to a specific person to review & provide comments only (Request Review, but optional ?)

3 - send an approval task to the validator(s) - either Request Approval or a Flexi-task, I'm not sure yet which is better to use in my case

The main task of course is the approval task - the approval will be made regardless of whether the other person provides any comments. After the approval is made there should be immediately 2 more simultaneous actions : a) send notification; and b) To-do task. These actions should not have to wait for the optional comments. Once the To-do task is complete the workflow is done.

This is what I have come up with, but since I can't publish/test I don't know if it will work like I think - it is the Request Review that has me completely stumped :

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
prasannaadavi
Nintex Newbie

Re: optional tasks & parallel actions?

Jump to solution

Rebekah,

I think your model will work.The request approval will move forward without waiting for the other parallel actions, and once approved will continue on to the Assign To-do Task and the send notification tasks.

What you need to realize is that the Run Parallel Actions block as a whole will not be complete until all actions in each branch are complete. So, after the assign to-do task is complete, the workflow will wait for the Request review and send notification tasks to be complete before moving on.

Couple of ways to tackle this:

1) Do not use Request Review. This task expects a response. Instead just send notification and in the notiifcation give directions on how to add comments. This is a one-way action, so workflow just moves on.

2) if you have to use Request Review, try and set a timer to it. may be if the comments are not added by certain date, the task just get completed by default. You could also base on a condition where the task waits until approval is done in the other branch. That way it is optional.

there could be more ways to handle this, depending upon how you want to structure the workflow etc etc.,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
pwp08a
Nintex Newbie

Re: optional tasks & parallel actions?

Jump to solution

At the end of you critical path put an "End Workflow" action.  This will end the workflow after the approval.  Otherwise the workflow will run until the other paths are completed.

0 Kudos