ASPX referenced Assemblies Best Practices

• 5 August 2012
  • 2 replies

Badge +4

Hi All,

I am wondering if anybody has any best practices for which ASP.NET WebForm projects reference SourceCode assemblies?

We have 1 K2 Host Server, another IIS Server running the Workspace and SharePoint, and separate IIS server where we deploy our custom web applications.

We are wanting to ensure the web applications on the IIS server reference the SourceCode assemblies in the best way, I think we have two options here and was wondering your thoughts?

1. Reference SourceCode assemblies in the project and "copy local", thus ensuring the dlls are published in the bin folder with the web application.

2. Install the SourceCode assemblies in the GAC on the IIS server.

Now, I am already leaning towards option 2 as this ensures the same assemblies are available for all applications on the server, but I wanted to know the best way to get these assemblies in the GAC in the first place.

We can easily copy them but I am wondering if we could install K2 on this server, and if so what would be installed. Would installing K2 Studio be enough, or is there a "core" we could install on this server? Doing it this way ensures when we update K2 we include this in our upgrade steps and simply run the new K2 installer without having to mess around with the GAC directly.

Thanks for your help, and sorry if this has been asked before. I did try searching.

Gareth

2 replies

Badge +6

Gareth, If you dont mind having client tools on the seperate IIS server, I would recommend to go with the option of installing K2 Studio on the IIS server. This will copy all the necessary DLLs in the GAC for your application to work. It also helps in updating the K2 version with ease.

Copying the sourcecode assemblies manually in GAC can somtimes* get messy. There are x86 and x64 versions of the same sourcecode dll. you need to ensure that you copy the right dll based on your application architecture and then maintain the version according to K2 updates.

Badge +4

Thanks for the advice,

I was wondering if I could request a feature where we simply installed the base assemblies using the installer. Maybe as part of the required "core" module. This would certain help with scenarios like this.

Thanks again.

Gareth