Checklist based on value

• 28 February 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge +3

Hi community members,

I am working on a project where users file requests for various changes within the company. The idea is that every type of change follows the same generic workflow. However, according to each type there are specific steps to check before the change should be implemented (risk analyis etc), see figure below. Today, employees use specific printed checklists that consist of up to 30 different points each. 

Do you have any ideas or tips how to implement those checklists in my workflow?

Thank you in advance!

Jan

Simplified workflow

Simplified process

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Well, it depends -- you could have a panel per checklist that is only visible based on certain criteria, or, if you have several items in the checklist that repeat and only certain ones that need to be displayed based on criteria you could have one long list with hide/show validation in each checkbox. 

I just went through the same process and I ended up doing the latter... but I didn't have as many outcomes as you seem to!

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

could you enlight from process point of view, what activity need to be taken/managed by a workflow for single point on a given checklist resp for a checklist as such?

I mean, if you have 30 points on checklist, do you want to create 30 tasks to confirm business activity has been completed?

or do you want to create one task with 30 checkboxes when one or more approvers need to mark single points completed?

or no task at all and checklist is considered just an notification or recommendation what to carry for?

or anything else.

Badge +3

Thanks a lot for both of your answers.

Rhia Wieclawek‌, your stated options are very useful to me. Hide/Show works great.

Marian Hatala‌, the current business requirement is that a change request needs approval (and risk assessment) from different managers/persons in charge. The number of approvers varies, depending on the related category of the change request. As you mentioned, I think the best way would be to assign one task for each approver including the related checkboxes.

However, at the moment not all checkboxes are required to be checked. So, a decision (outcome of a flexi task) can be made with e.g. 20 of 30 checked boxes.

Is there a possibility to access the decisions on the checkboxes of each approver and make them visible somehow?

Thank you for your help! happy.png

Jan

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

since you want to have it dynamic, I would probably approach it following way

- create (lookup) list with structure like: ApprovalProcessName, ApprovalLevel, OptionChoice

this will allow to define different options and differrent number of options per single approval process and approval level

- create a lookup column on approval list, with multiselection allowed that points to above mentione dlist

this will allow to choose some of set of options for given process and level

- important point here will be how to filter only respective options for a given process and approval level.

there are several approaches possible, not sure which might suit you the most. just give you some hints what to look for.

- cascaded lookups

- filter lookup by view + filter lookup by control and/or value

- calculated column in list that joins all the key values and filter is made on that calculated column

Badge +3

Thanks a lot for your help Marian Hatala‌ and sorry for my late response.

We adjusted the process and made it much lighter. Now a checklist is only required at one process step, which needs to be filled by only one responsible person.

However, the checkbox/choice control needs to be dynamic based on a type/category. Therefore I've created an additional list with categories like this:

No.      Category      Approver      Inform         Checklist (mulitline?)

1.         Quality         Lennard        Peter           Documentation, Manual, FMEA

2.         Marketing     Jeff               Troy            Pricing, Newsletter, DSO

3.         Eng.              Bryan           Kate            Sales List, PFMEA, Customer Feedback

So based on the category the above mentioned information is transfered to the columns of the specific item. In the further Flexi Task form I would like to integrate a choice control referencing the sames choices which are set in the respective category. Here is what I did: Checklist in the additional list --> Multiple lines of text, Variable within the workflow --> Multiple lines of text and reference the variable within the Choice control like this:

Unfortunately it looks like this: 

How do I integrate a reference on the choice control correctly?

Thank you in advance happy.png

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

try to change checklist to semicolon separated list of values.

Badge +3

Thank you, that works great.
I have now a choice control in my change process which creates checklists dynamically based on a category. Also, it stores the results in each item and shows them in all forms (which is pretty annoying work), so other employees can reproduce the process. Some really awesome possibilities here happy.png