PDF Converter - How to overwrite the existing PDF?

• 11 March 2016
  • 6 replies

Badge +9

I'm just wondering how to overwrite an existing PDF when using the PDF converter for SmartForms?

I have created a SmartObject of Autonumber ID, Process Instance ID, & File, and I run it various times throughout my Workflow (basically anytime the form updates).  But it's creating a new record every time it runs.  I only want one record per Process Instance ID, so how can I pass the ID to overwrite the existing file?

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8
Dear ,

Just correct me if im wrong ,
I do believe the pdf converter has an update method , so , wt u do is on the first time generating thhe pdf , add data field on ur form to recieve its ID VALUE. , when u generate it go to output mapping and return it to the data field , and on workflow/process initiation rule , send this value to a workflow data field , then on ur second activity smartform use pdf converter update method and use the id from the workflow data field , u could get the value by the configure of open worklist item rule in form initiation .

Hope it helps ,
Regards.
Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Dear ,

One thing tho , while i was checking ,  u may wanna check PDF File SMO , isntead of PDF Converter , hoping it helps ,

Regards.

Badge +9

Hi Ahmad, thanks for your response.

Yes, I had considered that approach but when you use the update method you still have to generate the updated PDF - the "FileName" and "Content" fields for the input mapping.  Unless I have missed something, there doesn't seem to be a way to generate the PDF without creating a brand new one & therefore creating a new record in the SmartObject storing the files.

Badge +9

Can anybody else provide some feedback on this?

Badge +2

See the picture and it works for me.

12152iE09F6D016FB4EB13.jpg

15325i044EB533EAAD7B9F.jpg
Badge +9

It looks like you're creating the PDF, copying it somewhere, and deleting it afterwards?