How to create a workflow that notifies the creator of the discussion when someone replies

Badge +6

I tried to create a conditional start but it did not work. Any ideas?

1.png

13 replies

Badge +6

This is in regards to a workflow I have on a SharePoint Discussion Board App. It functions differently then other list.

Badge +11

What happens? The workflow doesn't run at all? Is it set to run on newly created items as well?

Badge +11

This should also be able to be done in the Discussion list using the 'Alert Me'.

Badge +11

So you are saying it isn't getting in the workflow at all?

Badge +6

Yes, it allows me to build the workflow on the discussion board and update the workflow settings. However, it does not acknowledge the workflow when a discussion "item" is created or modified on the list.

Badge +11

Put a log history action as the very first action in your workflow just for giggles and grins.

Badge +6

YOU ROCK!! That Works. Can you kind of explain to me what that does?

I am a self taught SP Site Collection Admin. & Nintex Power User.

Badge +11

Ok I got this to get in the workflow when I took the conditions off the workflow. I put a log history. That logged. Then I added a Run If and put a log history in that and it ran.

Badge +11

Join the club. I've been teaching myself as well and am also a site collection admin. Thank God I don't have to do Powershell stuff.

The Log History action is great for troubleshooting. I use it a lot to see how far I am getting in the workflow. It logs entries in the workflow history. So you can put variable values and all kind of stuff to see if you are getting what you expect. I just don't recommend leaving those in there when you are finished troubleshooting. They take up space in the Nintex database.

I am glad I could help!

Badge +1

This didn't work for me. I think it is an issue with "itemProperty:ParentItemEditor" That doesn't exist as an option for me.

Even a reply to all participants would be nice.

Badge +6

did you try initiator?

Badge +1

I did try that and it would just put my name in.  I read on that and it says "username of the user who started the workflow, or caused the event which trigger the workflow."

So if I reply, it will only use my name to reply with. It needs to pull from the previous  post username. Using the ParentItem property like you did makes sense if I could find it.

Badge +6

try created by then