Nintex Workflow status different from workflow status column

Badge +3

Hi ,

I have a Nintex workflow custom action created and added to my Nintex workflow.

In the workflow, at the last part before the end workkflow, I have "Set workflow Status" to Completed.

After running the workflow, I see that the Nintex workflow has completed. I could see this by opening View Workflow History Page and I see it is under Completed Workflows section.

But the Workflow Status Column always shows "In-Progress" and the default SharePoint workflow status page shows that the workflow is "In Progress" status.

I see that there is a mismatch between the Nintex workflow status and the status in the workflow status column.

Can somebody help to find this issue ?

Also is there a way to forcibly update the status to completed for the workflows that are struck in the state that I mentioned above.

15 replies

Badge +7

Hi,

Are you using Nintex O365?

Jan

Badge +3

Hi Jan,

I am using SharePoint 2013 On-Premise Nintex Workflow V 3.0.8.0

Badge +7

Hi,

I don't think you need to explicitly update the workflow status with on-premise as it updates automatically, with O365 you do have to handle it in the workflow.

Jan

Badge +3

Hi

Ok. I will remove the explicit update for the status column.

but does that help to resolve the issue that I am encountering.

Also is there a programmatic way to update the status columns in the list ?

Thanks,

Senthil

Badge +7

Hi,

You'd need to check to see if any errors or pending actions were stopping the workflow from completing, if you've got a task awaiting approval for example.

I guess you could use PowerShell or another workflow to do an update, but you'd need to be careful that you weren't affecting a workflow that was already running against the list item.

Jan

Badge +3

Hi,

The Nintex workflow history page shows in Completed workflows section but the Status column shows In-Progress.

So I am not sure if there is any sync issue between the Nintex database and Content Database.

If you see the attached screenshot it shows that it is completed from Nintex side.

Thanks,

Senthil

Badge +3

Hi Jan,

Do you know which NW action or NWadmin command should I be using to update the status of the workflow ?

Thanks,

Senthil

Badge +7

I'd try the SyncTerminatedWorkflows operation, NWAdmin Operations - Nintex Workflow 2013

Jan

Badge +4

Hi Senthil,

I am not sure if you have the same problem but what I experienced is when you remove and republish a workflow you could end up having two workflow status columns with the same display name. You can check this in the view settings. If you find two of these workflow columns just uncheck the current and check the other one and see if you get the correct status in your view now. You might also want to check for older workflow instances and delete them. You can check in Workflow settings - in the list or library go to the workflow section in the ribbon and click the top most "Workflow Settings". Here you get a list of all workflows published to this list including all of its previous versions and running instances.

Good luck.

Thomas

Badge +3

Hi Thomas,

I don't see two status columns.

I have older instances of workflows running which is been used.

Do you think removing the older instances of workflows will fix the issue with the current instance ?

Should I remove them.

Thanks,

Senthil

Badge +4

Hi Senthil,

No in this case I don't think removing the old instances will fix the current instance.

Be careful removing older instances of the workflow. You should not remove older instances if you still have items or documents running those older instances. When you remove the old instances the workflow will be stopped and all workflow information is being deleted from the databases. I would recommend doing this only in case the items or documents have been deleted by the user without terminating the workflow. Users do sometimes delete items while there is still a workflow running. You need to check this in your list or library. Old workflow versions with "0" instances you can delete anyway.

Did you run he NWadmin -o SyncTerminatedWorkflows as Jan suggested?

Thomas

Badge +3

Sorry for the late response.

I ran the NWAdmin command and It does not seem to help. I says that there is 0 workflows to sync.

I opened a ticket with Nintex helpdesk and they say that it is a problem with the SharePoint Workflow Infrastructure and nothing to do with Nintex Product.

As a workaround, I had to create  another column to manage status instead of using the SharePoint status column.

I could not find any issue in the ULS logs. So at this point , I have a workaround but not a solution.

Thanks

Senthil

Badge +4

Hi Senthil,

I looked again at your screenshot. Two things attract my attention.

1. IFF Custom Action is yellow which means not completed
  2. End Workflow action

Could you check why the IFF Custom Action is not completed.

I am not a Nintex Expert but the end workflow action might cause unexpected results especially when you have actions that are not completed.

Thomas

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I noticed the same thing.  The fact that the action is yellow means there was some sort of problem.  So even though the other actions beyond it look like they completed, the fact that one is yellow means the entire workflow didn't really finish.  If you don't have any error logging in your custom action, you're going to need to investigate the error logs possible for both Nintex and SharePoint to figure out what's going on.  

Badge +3

I have the same problem on a brand new SP2013 farm with 2WF and 2 SPAPP servers.  A simple list workflow manually started on an item.  Nintex says it is completed, The status column or standard SP workflow status page says it is still running.

193358_pastedImage_2.png

193312_pastedImage_1.png

Have you found a solution?