Repeating section doesn't show results in list view

Badge +6

Hello! I have a repeating section for states (health plans). My challenge is that those states are not showing in the list view. They only show in the individual item, so I can't filter or view by the states. Any suggestions on how I can make them show in the list view?

19 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi Jennifer Smith‌!

It sounds like you might be new to Repeating Sections - is that right?

In order to get the data out of a repeating section, you need to use a UDA ( here's a link: Nintex Forms/Workflow - Parsing Repeating Section Data - Vadim Tabakman  ) that will take that data and turn it into a readable XML block. Then, you need to query the XML. 

When I first used a repeating section, I found it a bit overwhelming, but it's easier than it sounds.

If you have any questions, let me know.  I can give you a step by step if needed.

Cheers,

rhia

Badge +6

You are correct. I am very new to this - Nintex Forms (been working with it about a month) and repeating sections (just started this week). The article you included is intriguing, but, unfortunately not enough for a beginner. I need the configuration behind the nodes. In simple terms it sounds like we want to tell Nintex to query the repeating section and populate the fields but I haven't used any of the actions in the workflow described in the article to even know where to start.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

It's cool, we've got this.

So step one .. did you download the UDA, and add it in? You'll need a variable for "children" (aka how many rows), and a multline of text for the Repeating Section XML itself. 

You'll also want to make an Index (number variable - usually called numIndex) - this is just what we use to remind Nintex which loop it's on (or which row in the repeating section it needs to look at.) 

Let me know if you need help with those parts, and I'll slow down a bit.

Badge +6

Thank you so much I really appreciate your help. What is a UDA? Do you happen to have an example I could copy and then ask you specific questions?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

see these

Quick tutorial to use UDA 

http://help.nintex.com/en-US/nintex2013/help/#Workflow/RootCategory/SharePoint/Nintex.Workflow.UserDefinedActions.htm%3F… 

Badge +6

Thank you

Badge +6

I'm not sure if it's appropriate to say in this forum or not but I wanted to let you know that I will be on vacation next week so I won't get a chance to try this until after that.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

No problemo, just let us know if you need more help when you're back.

Badge +6

Hello Rhia Wieclawek! I'm back. It took me a bit longer than expected to catch up on things after being gone for a little over a week because of a training, but, I want to get back to tackling this challenge this week. I looked at the UDA tutorial that ‌ provided and it looks like I may need my system administrators to enable the ability to create a UDA. I'll reach back out after it's enabled and I've worked through the tutorial.

Badge +6

Hello ‌! I can't believe it's been 6 weeks since I've been able to get back to this but some other projects took precedence. My system administrator enabled my profile to be able to create UDAs. I am ready when you are you and really appreciate your help with this.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I am moving this weekend, but happy to help when I return -- if you don't hear from me by Wednesday, please ping / message me happy.png

Badge +6

Thank you

Badge +6

Hello! ‌ I hope you are getting settled in your new place. I'll be doing the same in less than a month. I was wondering if you might have some time to help me with my SP challenges.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hello Jennifer!  I was thinking of you yesterday, actually. Unfortunately, my internet is not going to be hooked up until Monday, but I will see if I can attach to some internet during my trip to Kansas City. (Flying tomorrow!)

In the mean time, though, since it's been a while, can you review the previous posts and the tutorials, and let me know which items you're able to work up to?

We will need to determine what makes the most sense for your need, as well - whether it's to create a header item with the individual states, (so if you have 3 states, you'll have 3 rows).

What I'd like to see is the section in your form where users would enter this - from what you've shown above, it doesn't make too much sense to me for the states to be the only repeating section items -- that would usually just be a Multiple Choice control. So i am assuming there is more to it! Am I right?

Basically we need to figure out the end goal. If it's just that you want to see "California; Kentucky; Idaho" there, then you'd just want a Multi Choice. If you wanted to see California alongside all the health plan data for california that was entered in the section, then we'll want to create a workflow that will generate some new rows for us.

Badge +6

‌ - Hello! Because of screenshots my reply is attached.

Badge +6

Hello ‌! I was able to persuade my leadership to go a direction that is a little easier and out of box than what we are trying to do. I appreciate your willingness to help. We may still want to try this method but it will be way in the future if we do.

Badge +5

Seems like there is a duplicate question for the same, I gave detailed answer here Show Repeating Section as table in List View  

Attaching workflow and form for reference .

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Alright - glad to know you've found a way that will work for you!

So, in reply to your doc (if down the road you need it), my understanding is:

Job Request Form

So let's say - for the sake of my lack of knowledge - the job request is "Update to Windows 10"

They'd select that.

And then, in the repeating section, they would select the Health Plan & Cost Center.

In your form, this would then be a 1:many relationship. Ie, "Update to Windows 10" for "Health Plan: 10" & "Cost Center: DC"  AND "Health Plan: 11" & "Cost Center: WA". It's much easier for your user (and for data integrity) to have your user enter in this way.

So our goal would be to create NEW list items (probably in another list) based on this one. So we have a list where our forms are submitted, a processing workflow, and then a 1:1 list.

That way, after processing in the new list, it looks like:

Row 1: Update to Windows 10 - Health Plan 10 - Cost Center: DC

Row 2: Update to Windows 10 - Health Plan 11 - Cost Center: WA

(and of course you copy over whatever other header data you'd need - created by, created date, etc)

====

So how do we get to that point?

Now that you have the UDA installed, you're on your way!

The important thing to know is about FormData.

FormData is within all Nintex Forms and encompasses all of the data on the form, regardless of whether it is in a repeating section or not.

Since your repeating section has a name (you need to name your repeating section, btw! Make sure to select it and call it something that makes sense - ie, RepSecCostCenters)

So let's look at the UDA and understand the fields:

textFormData: Automatically created by the form, you can use "Value" and input the Item Property "Form Data" - as mentioned, it comes pre-made with all Nintex Forms, so it's there for you!

textRepeatingSectionName: Here, we just type in the name of our repeating section. No need to get an item property or anything like that, you can just type it in.

numRepeatingSectionChildren:  For this, create a number variable. I usually call mine "numItems" or "numChildren" but you'll also want to be more specific if you have multiple repeating sections.

textDecodedRepeatingSection: What the UDA does for us is get rid of all the weird code, count the items, and put it into a format that the XML query thing can read. Thanks, UDA! So for this we just need a variable of the multiple lines of text type.

====

What next!? Now we get the data OUT of the XML - which is easier than it sounds, but requires some set-up.

Variables needed:

1) One for each of the pieces of data in your repeating section. For example, txtCostCenter and txtHealthPlan

2) A number variable called "numIndex" and set its' default # to "1" - this is how we tell the workflow which repeating section item we want to pick up.

The workflow:

1) Drop a LOOP into your workflow.

2) For the LOOP LOGIC,

It should look like that. What you're telling it is, "each time you do a loop, make sure that we are going through one of the repeating section items - if we aren't, then, stop!"

3) Query that XML! User the Query XML action, and set it up like this:

INTERMISSION ... I have to go for a walk now and will finish this later.

Badge +6

Thank you ‌ and