Why Is my Workflow Stuck after parallel tasks

Badge +5

I have a workflow that runs through several department tasks at once, then forwards to the facility manager when done. Several times (not always) when running this workflow, the tasks complete, but it does not continue on like it should. See the screenshot attached. The workflow size is 884k, which I know they say if it goes over 1MB then there may be issues.

Is there anyway I can force this WF along? It's frustrating that this keeps happening.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What's above these actions? is it multiple parallel actions, or state machine use?

Badge +5

It's multiple parallel actions.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Can you give a full picture of the workflow?  Also, is there any message on the workflow status page while it's in this state?

Badge +5

The workflow status just shows "Running." I attached the screenshot requested. it's two images so don't get tripped up by the multiple emails happy.png

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

hm, it looks like outer parallel action did not get notified by inner ones that all of them already finished.

what's the reason to nest parallel action? why can you simply have 6 prallel branches within one parallel action?

Badge +5

My original workflow was set up that way, and I was running into the same issue. I thought maybe it was too many actions for one parallel action, so I broke it up into several. Again, it works sometimes, which was better than never working with everything under one parallel action.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

ok.

just a guess  - have you tried commit/pause after update item action above parallel action to rule out some batching issues?

Badge +5

I guess that is a possibility. I have 7 of these workflows that go to different users in different facilities. This one seems to be the only one that gives me issues but it's the largest one out of them all. I wish there was a way for me to force this WF to the next step somehow.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I affraid you will not be able to advance already stuck workflow.

or maybe, if you restarted timer (and/or other) SP's services, its progress might be reexamined and continued.

Badge +5

Thank you ‌. I'll try to restart the timer service and report back if it takes off. Appreciate the prompt responses.

Badge +5

That didn't work. I'm stumped at this point. I'll play with the "pause time" for a few minutes after submitting just so things update properly. I don't see why this wouldn't work though.

Badge +11

I have found with many multiple parralel branches, it really is best to add a one minute pause between the start of each of the branches. It helps calm-out any congestion related issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I've seen the same ‌, I would also remove the nested parallels.