Switching Environments - InfoPath SmOb Integration Methods

• 21 May 2010
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

Hello All:

I ran into this scenario and I'm wondering if someone has a quick solution to my problem below.

After completing a K2 Blackpearl workflow solution using InfoPath integration with Smart Objects, I switch my work environment from Development to Production but I’m unable to get my solutions working without doing some manual work.  As it turns out, the SmOb integrations, the data connections to InfoPath, are still pointing to my development server.  In order for me to get the solution working in production, I have to remove all 15 SmOb Methods and re-add them so they point to my new Production server, a job that is very mind-numbing.

My question is:  is there a way to switch from the development environment to productions and vice versa and not have to remove and re-add the SmOb methods manually?

Any assistance will be appreciated.

1 reply

Badge +10

I believe this is a known issue although it’s been around for a while.  It appears that changing the environment in the K2 designer doesn't update the SmartObject server connections when they are refreshed to the InfoPath form.  I've noticed when I've extracted the infoPath file that the dataconnections will point to the correct environment's webservice but the actual smartobject servername and ports will still be pointing to the original enviornment.  This is what causes the failure

Here is how I work around the issue which although it is still manual it's easier than removing and readding the SmartObjects.  

1)     Close the solution's process kprx file in the designer.

2)     In notepad open the process' kprx file and do a search and replace on:

a)     Host=yourdevblackpearlservername and change it to Host=yourproductionblackpearlservername

(In most environments can probably skip the b and c since the HostServer port is probably the same in your development and production)

b)     Port=5555 and change it to Port=5556

c)     <Port>5555</Port> and change it to <Port>5556</Port>

3)     Save the kprx file. 

4)     Open your process kprx file in K2 Studio and change the environment to the production. 

5)     Click on the InfoPath Integration button and then click the refresh button to refresh the dataconnections for the correct environment and get the correct SmartObject server.

6)     Deploy your solution to your production environment.

I hope this helps.

Tim