cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

how to speed up nintex workflow

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am using Nintex workflow 2013 (3.1.4.0). I have list workflow about 5 MB. There are many actions including loop, foreach, state machine etc.

Workflow is triggered on item creation. After creating item in list, it takes 10-15 mins to start workflow and to assign another task.

What is the reason for this? can any one help me out to speedup workflow execution ?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: how to speed up nintex workflow

Jump to solution

Hello,

With Nintex Workflow you'll find a mechanism known as Safe Looping that is associated with the following actions:

• Pause For
  • Pause until
  • Task reminder
  • Complete Workflow task
  • Delegate workflow task
  • Wait for item update
  • Loop (when Safe Looping is enabled)
  • State Machine (when Safe Looping is enabled)

On a Loop or changing a state within a State Machine you'll get a delay (generally 5 minutes out of the box).  Now there are ways to turn this mechanism off completely, or change the timing of it, however: these aren't recommended.  This mechanism acts as a safety net against occasional "infinite loop" which could spin endlessly until eating up all the memory on your box and causing it to crash.

What I would suggest is redesigning your workflow in such a way that it can be broken out into parts and perhaps even redesigned to get around some of these built in delays.   This of course would be a topic for another post, but this is the answer as to why your workflow is slow at the moment.

*Things such as the way Sharepoint queues up and caches data have an effect on performance as well, but I would start with redesigning the workflow itself to minimize the impact of Safe Looping.

-Mike

mapeacock
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi,

Mike's suggestion is a good one, particularly as you have indicated that your workflow is 5MB. Nintex actually recommend a size of 500kb for any one individual workflow. Whilst I have some running that are around 1MB, you will definitely start to run into issues with workflows as large as you have.

As Mike suggests, you should look at a redesign, where you separate distinct groups of actions out into other workflows that are effectively called from a "Master" workflow.

Regards,

Mark

burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I recommend Mike M​'s suggestion!!!

alexjolynintex
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Just to complete the Mark's advice, I would add that the size of a workflow is also linked to the amount of Nintex forms (linked to a flexitask) that this Workflow includes.

When Mark gives this 500K-1Mb limit, it should take into account those forms that easily makes this size grow! So, this 500K-1Mb workflow size is ONLY for workflow. If you have 3 or 4 flexitasks with one NintexForms for each of them, your workflow will be around 4Mb (3 Mb direclty linked to forms).