Solved

Changing Control Type on View

• 18 January 2018
  • 4 replies

Hi All,

I have a workflow up and running. In one of the view, I have a Check box list  control, which allows multiple selections. I need to change it to single selection. I am wondering what is the best way to do that?  Do I need to change control type? If yes, what will be its impact on form (rules)?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by RaymondJVR 29 January 2018, 10:14

View original

4 replies

Badge +9

A radio button list would suit your needs better, but you can't change the existing control to that directly so you have to add it in as a new control, and you will need to remap the rule configurations.

Thank you for response. Just wondering is it possible to make it single selection with rules on view instead of changing control type. The Checkbox List has lots of rules on form and WF. I am trying to reduce some work. 

Badge +9

Nope. The Check Box List is meant for multi-selection. 

You could log a feature request to have it include an option to make it single selection, but for now that's how it works. 

Alternatively, you could try to hack it by injecting javascript onto the view. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi Msharma

I agree with Ziqing that the radio button list control would be your best bet to get the desired behaviour however an alternative suggestion would be to use a Choice control as the choice controls properties can be toggled between a checkbox list, radio button list and a dropdown list without having to change configurations that had been designed to work with the control but sill servers the same limitation with the Checkbox list selection.

When swapping your checkbox list control to a radio button list control your configurations will be lost and you would need to reconfigure them again. Unfortuanily you would need to swap your current checkbox list control to either a radio button list control or a choice control in order to get the desired result to only be able to select a single value at a time as the single selection is not an out of the box property for the checkbox list control.

The suggestion above are made purely due to the fact that there is no out of the box property that can be adjusted in the checkbox list control to allow only a single selection, even looking at doing this from a rule perspective it would not provide the desired result as designing a rule set that would disable the control when the control had changed only allowing a single value to be selected would in return have the negative affect that it cannot be changed until the form had been reloaded which would not suffice.

Please see the below articles on the above discussed controls

Radio Button List Controls

4.7 Radio Button List Control

K2 5 Radio Button List Control

CheckBox List control

4.7 CheckBox List Control

K2 5 CheckBox List Control

Choice Control

4.7 Choice Control

K2 5 Choice Control

I hope this clears up any questions or concerned that you might have had.

Kind Regards

Raymond