Unable to send workflow emails when assign to in group

Badge +5

Hello Everyone,

we  create  a summary email, it's working fine. when ever we add a group in  "Assignto" column, workflow is not working for assignto column. group  contains users, group members didn't get any emails. 

Any one give me the solutions and tips.

Thanks,

Santhosh,

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

what kind of group do you use?

it normally works for sharepoint groups.

but it doesn't work for AD (security) group https://community.nintex.com/message/34886#comment-34886

Badge +5

Hi Marian,

Sorry for the incomplete information. we are using SP groups and the groups does receive the email, however we are using collection operation to collect and retrieve the title associated to that particular item. this operation is not working, the group's  receive blank emails. When we use a single person in the assigned to field, the collection operation work's fine.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Santhosh.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I'm sorry, I do not understand what are you really doing then.

can you post screenshot of your workflow and configuration of (the most important) actions?

have you tried to log to within collection what exactly are you retrieving and whether it is really what you expect?

we are using collection operation to collect and retrieve the title associated to that particular item

does that mean you are working on a site workflow and iterating through single items?

Badge +5

Hi Marian,

We have created a site workflow. the first screenshot is where we are doing a for each for "assigned to field" and storing it in a variable. then we do a set operation, where we are setting a new text variable to get the user id  allocated to a "assigned to" field.

This operation works fine even when "assigned to" is a group. we see in log history that it retrieves an ID for the group.

the second  screenshot is for the collection operation where for each "assigned to" and "id", it is doing the "add" first and then "retrieve" operation through collection operation to get the "title" and other details associated to that item. it is her where it fails only when "assigned to" = SP group.

I hope this gives you a better understanding of what we are trying to do.

Thanks,

Santhosh.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

getting better, but I would need to see as well configuration of both for-each actions, set variable action and collection actions from 2nd picture (at least from one branch, if there are not significant differences between branches).

next please clarify what's the relation between 'assigned to' and 'ID value for assigned to name'.

is it 'ID of user' (can one user=assigned to have more then 1 ID?) or 'ID of item'?

what's the reason for 3 parallel branches, do you manipulate 3 different collections?

Badge +5

Hi Marian,

Please find the screen shots of for-each actions, set variable actions and collection actions.

1) This screen shot is First For-each

Summary_Email_ForEach1.PNG

2)  set variable action inside  for-each  action

Summary_SetVariable_Config.PNG

3) 2-nd for-each action

Summary_Email_Foreach2.PNG

4)  Collections

Summary_Email_Foreach_Collection1.PNG

Summary_Email_Foreach_Collection3.PNG

Id is unique column out of box  that is their in every list, in the set variable configuration  it is returning the user  id which is  assigned to an  "assigned-to "  field. one assigned-to  can have only one user id.

we are using parallel actions because  we are collecting the title, due date ,status associated to a particular name in the assign to field.

Thanks,

Santhosh.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

ok, thanks.

so let me summarize how do I understand your workflow so far with some questions/hints. correct me if I'm wrong in some details

1. you query some PBE list, as a result you get separate collections for AssignedTo, ItemIDs, Titles, due dates, statuses, etc.

so I expect all the collection used later are populated with this query

2. then you iterate through AssignedTo collection.

for every assignee from AssignedTo collection you determine assignee/user ID.

as you have written up to now everything works correctly and regardless of whether assignee is user or group.

user ID is not used anywhere later within workflow scope you provided.

3.then you iterate through IDColl2 collection which I assume is collection of ItemsIDs you got in step 1.

from what you have provided, within this loop you do not anyhow work with assignees, so the problem doesn't seems to be related to a user or group at all.

if assumption in point 1 is correct then this loop seems to be pointless, since both your collection you iterate through contains the same number of rows and since returned from the same query you can be sure that at the same index position you get data from the same source item.

4. within the loop you look up for Title bound to one entry in IDColl2 and adds the Title to another collection at position given by DescIndex.

I do not see anywhere whether you set or not DescIndex variable. it has to contain correct value within collection boundaries.

have you checked whether IDvar2 contains correct/expected value and that it points to existing item in 'Prepared by Entity' list?

have you checked whether this operation succeeds or not? (write collection elements count or even whole collection if it's not too big to the log or email collection content to yourself)

BTW, is your 'PBE list' you query at very beggining (step 1) and where do you get all the data from the same 'Prepared by Entity' list you query here?

what's the reason for that, you could query Titles by the query in step 1 as well

5. you immediatelly gets back texts written to the DescriptionColl2 in previous step.

there same apply reg. DescIndex variable here.

as you stated before at this point you do not get result what you would expected.

Badge +16

‌ did marian's response resolve your issue?

Badge +5

Hi Freeman,

Thanks for reply. I did not get any resolution for my issue.

Do you have any solution for issue?

Regards,

Santhosh. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Have you tried using the "Log in History List" action to see what data is in the variables before the notification is sent?  Also, could you post a screen shot of the entire workflow?  I see your screen shot above, but it doesn't show how you get the collection that you use the "For each" in step 1.  Also, was ‌ description above of your process correct?