Nintex Style Guide

Badge +1

Hey All,

Just wondering whether anyone might have a Nintex style guide, how do you name your workflow variables - camel case - snake case,  adding details to the label ie do you put any variables on the left or right or bottom  that they are willing to share with the rest of the community.

Cheers

Stefen

5 replies

Badge +16

Hi Stefen Hasselberg

I do not pretend to be an expert here but I have found something that works for me (I am also waiting with interest as to the other responses you get back).

I like to name my variables in a very old fashioned way of:

v{Type}{Description} i.e. vTextCreatedByFirstName, vTextCreatedByLastName, vNumQuantity.

Reason:  In some actions when you configure them it is hard to see what type of variable you are selecting when adding to the action (i.e. email body) - I have cases where I have variables of same names but different types and when you insert reference you cannot see the type.  The reason I use the v is for the same purpose, when looking at the configuration of the action, I like to be able to visibly identify variables from item/common properties.  Again, I would like to stress that I am not saying this is best practice, but it works for me.

With regards to labelling - I do not like to change the title of the action (I remember being told on a training course not to do that for some reason, so it's a habit that has stuck).

I use the left hand label to indicate data coming into the action, and use the right hand label to indicate data coming out of the action, and the label at the bottom to give an overview of what the action is trying to achieve:

Labelling.PNG

I found doing it this way proves the workflow to be self documenting, and my colleagues do not have to open up the action to work out what I am trying to do with it when they are troubleshooting.

Anyway, I am more commenting because I am super interested in what others do too, and will adapt my approach accordingly if I see a better way of doing things.

Thanks

Cassy

Badge +4

I guess I do it slightly differently than Cassy.

1) For variables, I do something like this (var_variablename). Guess it is a combination of Camel Case and Snake Case. The only exception is collection variables, where I use something like var_Coll_variablename. This helps me in some actions like Query List, where all variables are shown together.

184823_pastedImage_0.png

2) I am actually used to changing the Action name, to describe what I am trying to do. Example below. Sometimes I add more description if necessary at the bottom of the action. My logic is that the icon for the action actually tells you what action that is, so action name redundant.

184824_pastedImage_1.png

3) The other thing I also do, wherever applicable is to use the User Defined Notes feature to add my own comments instead of System Generated comments.

184825_pastedImage_2.png

4) Workflow Name: I always name my workflows to be a action oriented. Ex: I say Create a Project Workflow, instead of Project Creation Workflow. Seems more intuitive.

5) And finally, in a few cases, I use the left label and right label to describe the input and output of the action, respectively. To be honest, I only do this when I am going through a Obsessive Compulsion period happy.png

To echo Cassy, these are practices developed empirically and may or may not be best practices.

Badge +17

Stefen,

Check out the Nintex Hangout for some more info on this.... Nintex Hangout - Nintex Forms Q&A (May 18th) - YouTube   Starting at minute 2:30 - Great replies Cassy Freeman​ and Prasanna Adavi​.

Badge +1

Hi All,

Thank you all for your suggestion,  I wish I could mark them all as correct as there isn't a right or wrong answer and I feel both suggestion has their merits.

Eric - yes you are right I just need to do it.

Thanks All

Badge +17

Stefen,

Feel free to give the first person that responded the correct answer and if you don't mind marking the others as helpful that would help them all show up if someone searches it. Glad the hangout session helped as well.

Enjoy your time on the community.

Eric