cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

folder level alert

We have nintex workflow enabled at document library level. Within this document library we have many folders. How do I limit my workflow functionality to within A particular folder? Right now when I create a workflow it applies to all the folders within the document library. I Just want to limit my workflow within a relevenat folder only.

Tags (1)
4 Replies
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: folder level alert

When you look at the underlying structure of SharePoint, the document library is the parent content type and the workflow applies to that.  The folder is really nothing more than a metadata separator or grouping tag that is physically or rather logically applied to help show structure. 

So in this case, you can't actually have workflows run just on folders.   A quick and easy way would be to add an additional choice column called "FolderName".  In that column, create a metadata option for each folder and tag the documents with that name.  This will enable you to then target just those items in that folder with a workflow. 

1. In the workflows settings, set a start condition on the workflow and have that start when an item within a folder (tag) item is changed or
  2. Use a run if action and again have it run if some criteria in the folder (tag) item is added or changed.

Explanation: Say for example you have folders named Test1, Test2, Test3. foldernames.jpg

I can create a new column called FolderName and tag the documents from each qucikly by using the DataSheet view inside each folder.

foldertagged.jpg

Then I can edit my workflow settings to start when items are modified at the "FolderName" is Test1 and for example the Check-In Comments are not blank.

Workflow settings.jpg

Hope that helps get you going in the right direction.

Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

I have the same question o this. However I have followed the guide. But the issue remains when a New File is uploaded it wont have the Tag of the folder hence the workflow is unable to start. Any ideas on that..

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Try using the run if action instead of conditional start.  That way the workflow always runs regardless of the condition.  This allows the workflow logic to then handle whether subsequent actions happen or not.

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

A couple of thoughts ...

Maybe if you condicionally start your workflow when "URL Path" contains .....  try the folder name, if that doesn't work try the full URL to the folder.  Also I'm not sure if this field respondes to spaces (if your library and/or folder contain spaces), so you may need to encode or decode the URL (URL Decoder/Encoder ).

Another option that may work ... create a Build String with your folder path ( Web URL/libraryName/folderName )  store results in a text FolderPath variable.  You will also need to create and interger variable to store the current item ID.   Create a condition that checks if the current item contains "FolderPath".   

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply